Shelf stabile snack sticks without use of drying chamber....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
How would you go about it? My chamber will have a culatello, fiocco, and 3 coppas hanging in it as soon as they finish curing so use of my chamber is out. I plan on warm smoking and cooking the sticks after fermentation. I would like to dry them to 40% or higher weight loss for shelf stable sticks. Being such a small diameter, would it be ok to dry at room temp, say 68-70*?

The fermentation will be a fast ferment and the sticks will have a tang... pH below 4.8 is the goal. So once they lose 20% weight loss they should be a semi dry product correct? So could hang at room temp. with no worries? Or am I wrong? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
I have about 80# of goose meat and the majority of it will be made into sticks...Need to make room in the freezers and want the sticks shelf stable.

Planning jalapeno and cheese (very popular with hunting buddies)
and pepperoni with shredded mozzarella cheese

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
How would you go about it? My chamber will have a culatello, fiocco, and 3 coppas hanging in it as soon as they finish curing so use of my chamber is out. I plan on warm smoking and cooking the sticks after fermentation. I would like to dry them to 40% or higher weight loss for shelf stable sticks. Being such a small diameter, would it be ok to dry at room temp, say 68-70*?

The fermentation will be a fast ferment and the sticks will have a tang... pH below 4.8 is the goal. So once they lose 20% weight loss they should be a semi dry product correct? So could hang at room temp. with no worries? Or am I wrong? Thanks in advance.
The LJ would be close to a SA drywors. Just some heat and air flow is how i do mine

The small batch i did was #2 and some LHP Dry, dont forget the dextrose.
I used the poli recipe

The LJ would be close to a SA drywors. Just some heat and air flow is how i do mine

The small batch i did was #2 and some LHP Dry, dont forget the dextrose.
I used the poli recipe
Thanks Rick.
What is LJ? Landjaeger? SA is South African?

So no need for the chamber? Just hang and dry at room temp. with air flow after smoking/cooking?

I plan on using cure #1 because they will be dry in less than 1 month. I have some F-RM-52 culture on hand so I plan on using it as it is a fast acting culture, but only metabolizes dextrose, not sucrose.
I have a recipe for the jalapeno and cheese. Plan to use a modified version of Marianski's pepperoni recipe.

Found it...

1615638532897.png

The Sausage Maker - Bactoferm LHP Dry (Pediococcus Acidilactici and Pediococcus Pentosaceus)

Brand: The Sausage Maker

4.7 out of 5 stars 6 ratings

Price:$33.49 ($33.49 / Count)

Item FormDry
BrandThe Sausage Maker
Item Weight10 Pounds

About this item
  • For fast acidification (typically used for products needing about 3 weeks or less to complete)
  • Creates a pronounced, sour flavor in your meat
  • Great for thin products like pepperoni
  • Usage: 42g for 225kg(500 lbs)
  • Instructions for making 10 lb. increments included

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky