"self cleaning" cycle on your propane smoker with high heat?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 13, 2015
has anyone tried to run a "self cleaning" cycle on their propane smoker similar to what you'd do on a home kitchen oven? basically close all doors and vents and turn up the heat as high as it'll go. i don't have my masterbuilt user manual anymore, but was wondering if they would advise against something like that. or if someone's actually tried and can advise that it's not a good thing to do?

the last time i used my propane smoker, i had the flame on medium to get it warmed up. and without any wood chips/chunks loaded, i was surprised it was putting out smoke. i assume it was from all the smoke/creosote buildup. if medium heat did that, i was thinking blasting it on high heat would really help burn that stuff off.

I do this and it makes all the crud on the inside turn to dry flaky stuff I can wipe right off. Not sure if I really need to do that since my food doesn't actually touch the sides anyway, but it's therapeutic

I do this and it makes all the crud on the inside turn to dry flaky stuff I can wipe right off. Not sure if I really need to do that since my food doesn't actually touch the sides anyway, but it's therapeutic

how long do you let yours run? i was thinking an hour on the highest temperature i can get it.

That's about how long I do it I'd say. I don't have my manual either though, but you could surely find it online or call them if you're worried :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky