Second Saturday Cooking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
My buddy told me when I retired you have Sunday and 6 Saturdays. Today is Saturday 2of the week and I felt like doing a little cooking. Fired up the Lang with cherry wood and rib around 250 today. First up was 18 jalapeno popper zucchini boats. Scooped out, filled with a mix of cream cheese, sausage , crumbled bacon, minced jalapeno and cheddar. When almost done topped with more cheddar , bacon and fried jalapeno rings.
PXL_20230724_140642250.jpg
PXL_20230724_144705554-01.jpeg
PXL_20230725_185823684.jpg
PXL_20230725_190330670.jpg
PXL_20230725_191358133-01.jpeg
I was getting ready to pitch the scooped zucchini and had an idea. Mixed it and a couple more zucchini with fresh local tomatoes, candy onions, Italian seasoning and topped with parmesan and parmesan crisp crumbs. Pretty tasty for winging it.
PXL_20230724_161244211-01.jpeg
PXL_20230724_162914249-01.jpeg
snapseed-01.jpeg
Found a rib a few rib roasts when I moved things to the new freezer. Injected with smokey au jus save from a short rib cook a few months back. I always freeze that leftover gold. Rubbed with Pitmaster WOW seasoning and some extra pepper. Smoked to 120 and seared with a torch. I had to hold this a few hours in the Cambro and ended up with medium. It was still very tender and tasty. Exceptionally good as I remember buying it for $3.99 / lbs
PXL_20230724_184007415-01.jpeg
PXL_20230725_211419906.MP-01.jpeg
PXL_20230725_211459274-01.jpeg
Last up was a big batch of my sugar free extra bold bread and butter pickles. I'll be doing these and a Hungarian pepper version a lot over the next few weeks as they are abundant and cheap at the local Mennonite produce market now. I have posted this recipe before. Salted for an hour and then rinsed and into the hot brine for an hour. Off to the frig to cool.
PXL_20230725_173628423-01.jpeg
PXL_20230725_200219155-01.jpeg
I have a dessert too but didn't get pics yet. I'm beat lol. Handed out several to go packages. I'm beat. Time to binge some TV.

My buddy told me when I retired you have Sunday and 6 Saturdays. Today is Saturday 2of the week and I felt like doing a little cooking. Fired up the Lang with cherry wood and rib around 250 today. First up was 18 jalapeno popper zucchini boats. Scooped out, filled with a mix of cream cheese, sausage , crumbled bacon, minced jalapeno and cheddar. When almost done topped with more cheddar , bacon and fried jalapeno rings. View attachment 671603View attachment 671604View attachment 671605View attachment 671606View attachment 671607I was getting ready to pitch the scooped zucchini and had an idea. Mixed it and a couple more zucchini with fresh local tomatoes, candy onions, Italian seasoning and topped with parmesan and parmesan crisp crumbs. Pretty tasty for winging it. View attachment 671608View attachment 671609View attachment 671610Found a rib a few rib roasts when I moved things to the new freezer. Injected with smokey au jus save from a short rib cook a few months back. I always freeze that leftover gold. Rubbed with Pitmaster WOW seasoning and some extra pepper. Smoked to 120 and seared with a torch. I had to hold this a few hours in the Cambro and ended up with medium. It was still very tender and tasty. Exceptionally good as I remember buying it for $3.99 / lbs View attachment 671611View attachment 671612View attachment 671613Last up was a big batch of my sugar free extra bold bread and butter pickles. I'll be doing these and a Hungarian pepper version a lot over the next few weeks as they are abundant and cheap at the local Mennonite produce market now. I have posted this recipe before. Salted for an hour and then rinsed and into the hot brine for an hour. Off to the frig to cool. View attachment 671614. View attachment 671617I have a dessert too but didn't get pics yet. I'm beat lol. Handed out several to go packages. I'm beat. Time to binge some TV.
Looks great from here!

Fred

Reactions: jcam222
Pretty productive for a retired guy. Have to look up your bread and butter pickle recipe. I make mostly dills but I do enjoy a sweet one every once in a while.

Take Care,

Retired RG

Pretty productive for a retired guy. Have to look up your bread and butter pickle recipe. I make mostly dills but I do enjoy a sweet one every once in a while.

Take Care,

Retired RG

Looks great Jeff, That's a big mess of food for a second Saturdays cook.
And I am all about the pickles. Love me some B + B , have another month before we do ours up north here.

*** Near the end of your post the text went to black, It was a little harder to read , but probably because I am in the dark mod , but first half was good. ***

David

Nice work Jeff . Retirement really adds to what you already know , by having time to do it .

Looks great from here!

Fred
Thanks Fred and congrats on your TD win!

Take Care,

Retired RG
I am astounded by how productive I've been in a month of retirement. Iay figure out how to relax one of these days lol
Looks great. That is a lot of food for one go.
Thanks! I always make a ton to share ,freeze and eat.
Looks great Jeff, That's a big mess of food for a second Saturdays cook.
And I am all about the pickles. Love me some B + B , have another month before we do ours up north here.

*** Near the end of your post the text went to black, It was a little harder to read , but probably because I am in the dark mod , but first half was good. ***

David
Odd on the text. I do use the classic view. These pickles fly out of my frig to friends and family lol. The way I do them I think they are sort of a cross between b&b and mustard pickles.
Now that a busy day! All looks really good.
Thanks Brian! I did stay busy for sure. Also knocked out a little yardwork.
Nice work Jeff . Retirement really adds to what you already know , by having time to do it .
No doubt Rich. I'm loving it. Some charcuterie is on the horizon.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
WOWSA! You are killing the retirement! All of that looks good!

Jim
Thanks! I plan on making early retirement fun
WOW, you are making it count Jeff, some great work there! RAY
Thanks Ray
Wow, all very nice! Great "out of the box" thinking with the leftover zucchini. 👍
Thanks! They were tasty but I think I prefer the Italian style boats I usually do. That said people raved about them.

Reactions: JLeonard
extra bold bread and butter pickles. I'll be doing these and a Hungarian pepper version a lot over the next few weeks as they are abundant and cheap at the local Mennonite produce market now. I have posted this recipe before. Salted for an hour and then rinsed and into the hot brine for an hour. Off to the frig to cool.

All good , this is what I saw , not sure how it looks to others.

As for your B+B pickles they look great, I make so many , I would have to have an extra fridge just for pickles. I can mine so they are shelf stable for at least a year.

Can I ask what you use to make them sort of a mix of mustard and B+B. Always up for a different profile. I am not a real dill fan , but make a lot of other styles.

David

All good , this is what I saw , not sure how it looks to others.

As for your B+B pickles they look great, I make so many , I would have to have an extra fridge just for pickles. I can mine so they are shelf stable for at least a year.

Can I ask what you use to make them sort of a mix of mustard and B+B. Always up for a different profile. I am not a real dill fan , but make a lot of other styles.

David
I use a refrigerator bread and butter pickles recipe but add a very a healthy dose of pickling spice mix. I posted a link to my process and thread above.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
HOLY SMOKES Jeff!! What an amazing array of food my friend. Putting all of that together was a monumental task and you did it to perfection. Sure makes me wish I was your neighbor :emoji_laughing: Beautiful job all around buddy.

Robert

That's one way to stay busy Jeff. It all looks fabulous.

Point for sure
Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky