Second brisket attempt questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

binnesman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
May 23, 2021
The last time and my first time cooking a Costco prime brisket the flat turned out just a little dry. Watched a couple videos and some of them just checked the point temp and pulled it off at about 202 when probe went in easy. Do you monitor the point or flat more and at what temp are you shooting for on the flat? I will be wrapping in butcher paper when bark sets around the 8hr mark. I also cook at around 225. I was also wondering anyone ever spritz the brisket with coffee if so how did it turn out?

Some smart people are going to tell you to monitor the center and thickest part of the flat and look for around 203°, but more importantly to check for probe tenderness throughout the entire brisket. Tender with no resistance, like going through soft butter.

I buy Costco briskets as well. Maybe trim off the thin end of the flat, that's what I have been doing.

Never have spritzed with coffee.

Place the meat thermometer probe in the thickest portion of the flat and don't worry about the point. Personally, I start probing all over for tenderness at 200.
Since I don't wrap or spritz briskets or butts, I really can't answer about spritzing with coffee, sorry.

Some smart people are going to tell you to monitor the center and thickest part of the flat and look for around 203°, but more importantly to check for probe tenderness throughout the entire brisket. Tender with no resistance, like going through soft butter.

I buy Costco briskets as well. Maybe trim off the thin end of the flat, that's what I have been doing.

LOL. We posted at the same time.

Reactions: tallbm
The last time and my first time cooking a Costco prime brisket the flat turned out just a little dry. Watched a couple videos and some of them just checked the point temp and pulled it off at about 202 when probe went in easy. Do you monitor the point or flat more and at what temp are you shooting for on the flat? I will be wrapping in butcher paper when bark sets around the 8hr mark. I also cook at around 225. I was also wondering anyone ever spritz the brisket with coffee if so how did it turn out?

^^^^^^^ This.

It seems all of you posting so far are definitely the smart guys and said everything I was going to say haha

Just to reiterate.
A brisket is done ONLY when it is tender ALL OVER.
You check for tenderness by stabbing ALL OVER with something like a wooden kabob skewer and you get no resistance..
You check for tenderness when the meat probe is placed in the thickest yet center-most portion of the FLAT muscle tells you to. I check for tenderness at 200F, many start 195-198F.

If it is not tender ALL OVER wait another couple of degrees temp rise and test for tenderness again ALL OVER. Repeat until tender and done :)
The POINT will deceive you so don't even worry about it. The point comes out great with ease, the FLAT is the problem child.

I think you are fine with the wrapping approach. To make it more specific. I would say wrap when you know it damn well looks like BBQ brisket and not Roast Beef lol, for me this is usually an IT of 180F in the meat if I were to wrap a brisket... but I don't wrap whole packer briskets.
If you wrap too early you get roast beef in taste and appearance instead of BBQ brisket, so don't wrap too early.

Spritzing, never done it, never needed to.
Smoker temp of 225F will work but just know that briskets don't care what temp you cook them at as long as you aren't burning them. As long as you don't season with sugar you can cook well over 225F and save hours. I smoke at 275F and if my MES insulation was rated to go higher for such long periods of time I personally would go around 350F but I can't so I stay with my max of 275F and it takes on average just over an hour a pound or so before tenderness tests start to pass. Sometimes longer, sometime lesser but tenderness doesn't lie :)

Follow these fundamentals and you will have a better brisket for sure. I hope this info helps and best of luck on brisket #2. :)

Last edited:
Haha, I was only repeating what smart people like you have told me recently as I struggle to figure out my new pit!
Hahah thanks!
Any of it helping with your briskets? I have a hunch about the answer but there's nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth :D

My brisket is a big boy today 21 pounds strong before trim. Long cook putting it on around 8pm if it get done early longer rest time which I like

Reactions: ConrodM
Hahah thanks!
Any of it helping with your briskets? I have a hunch about the answer but there's nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth :D
Yes, did a brisket last week. Slightly over cooked but good. Not dry, just a bit too done if you know what I mean.

Flat slices did not stay intact. Sort of shredding apart as I sliced it, but still juicy. 12 hours at 250-275 on a 15 lb. brisket. Point was better.

Last edited:
Reactions: ConrodM
want to eat around 5 tomorrow hoping that enough time to get it done. Starting at 8 that is. What do you think?

My brisket is a big boy today 21 pounds strong before trim. Long cook putting it on around 8pm if it get done early longer rest time which I like

One more tip for you we haven't mentioned.
Trim away the thin portion of the FLAT muscle so what you leave behind in the flat is about uniform thickness with the rest of the flat and brisket so it cooks as evenly as possible.

I have a whole post on it here along with what you can do to repurpose that good flat meat. This was one of the last things I added to my approach that put my briskets over the top!

Yes, did a brisket last week. Slightly over cooked but good. Not dry, just a bit too done of you know what I mean.
Yeah, it probably wanted to fall apart, but hey u get chopped/pulled beef brisket that way which I LOVE :D

want to eat around 5 tomorrow hoping that enough time to get it done. Starting at 8 that is. What do you think?

At 225F there is no way I see you doing a 21LB brisket in that time period even after trimming.
If you trim down to 17 pounds and go at a steady 275F never opening the smoker until the end for tenderness checks you would still go about 18-19hrs putting it done at maybe at 5pm if you are lucky. This is an unwrapped brisket, I don't know if/how many hours wrapping will buy you since I don't do it but I wouldn't think it saves you 5-6hours at all, but not sure.

A great rule of thumb is to plan to have the brisket done 4 hours before you want to eat. If it comes off 4 hours early that is awesome you just tightly double wrap in foil and then tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the counter. Slice and serve 4hours later and it will be piping hot with a great rest.
If it doesn't finish 4 hours early... you have 4 hours for it to finish before you get attacked by hungry people with forks haha.

If you check out my trim post and get it down to 15 pounds of a whole cut and smoke at 275F, and don't spritz then I think you can hit your 5pm time period with a good 4hr rest or longer if needed.

This make sense?

Reactions: Displaced Texan
Yeah, it probably wanted to fall apart, but hey u get chopped/pulled beef brisket that way which I LOVE :D

At 225F there is no way I see you doing a 21LB brisket in that time period even after trimming.
If you trim down to 17 pounds and go at a steady 275F never opening the smoker until the end for tenderness checks you would still go about 18-19hrs putting it done at maybe at 5pm if you are lucky. This is an unwrapped brisket, I don't know if/how many hours wrapping will buy you since I don't do it but I wouldn't think it saves you 5-6hours at all, but not sure.

A great rule of thumb is to plan to have the brisket done 4 hours before you want to eat. If it comes off 4 hours early that is awesome you just tightly double wrap in foil and then tightly wrap in 3 bath towels and set on the counter. Slice and serve 4hours later and it will be piping hot with a great rest.
If it doesn't finish 4 hours early... you have 4 hours for it to finish before you get attacked by hungry people with forks haha.

If you check out my trim post and get it down to 15 pounds of a whole cut and smoke at 275F, and don't spritz then I think you can hit your 5pm time period with a good 4hr rest or longer if needed.

This make sense?
275 not to high? I use a Camp Chef pellet smoker.

This make sense?
275 not to high I cook on a Camp Chef Pellet smoker.

Still not sure if I want to do fat side up or down on the pellet smoker. My heat comes from the bottom not the top like a stick.

Still not sure if I want to do fat side up or down on the pellet smoker. My heat comes from the bottom not the top like a stick.

As long as you don't put any sugar in the rub/seasoning 275F won't be too high at all.

As for fat side up or down I would split the difference. Start unwrapped fat side up. Then when you wrap return fat side down. This way the fat doesn't mash down between the grates and make a mess :)

Now I don't use a pellet smoker so I am just taking an educated guess that things would be fine with that flipping and such. You may know better according to how your grill operates :)

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
As long as you don't put any sugar in the rub/seasoning 275F won't be too high at all.

Yep!
Sugar in a brisket rub?? Well, I reckon that is okay for folks who like some sweetness to their beef. Personally, I am not a fan of sweet beef.

binnesman binnesman Lots of folks here on SMF smoke their briskets hot and fast...in the neighborhood of 300 degrees.
Food for thought.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky