• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

"seasoning smokers"

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nh3b's

Meat Mopper
SMF Premier Member
Jan 12, 2008
I have read some on seasoning smokers. Is this just as simple smoking a dry run in it or coating it with evoo first? In your humble opinions, what is the right way of breaking in a new smoker?

richtee

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Aug 12, 2007
Wash it out with a bit of soap and water..or Simple Green/cleaner solution. This is to remove any nast petro based solvent/oils etc. used in manufacturing/rust prevention. Rinse... spray with Pam is easy... you could wet a rag with OO...no need for the expensive stuff. And run a load thru it. Get it HOT, then let smoke until she cools. You'll then have a nice clean and contaminate free smoker

richoso1

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 21, 2007
Who was that masked man... Richtee! Good advise from a good guy.

shooterrick

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 13, 2008
Lang advises to clean inside of smoker with water spray , spray down all parts inside with pam or similar, run smoke heavy for about 4 hrs or longer.
icon_biggrin.gif

richtee

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Aug 12, 2007
All you with a Lang take note. Everybody else... we now continue with our regulary scheduled program.

squeezy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Jul 17, 2005
Kinda like the difference between a VW and a Rolls Royce ...

flash

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Mar 30, 2007
Yeah, I was hoping they would add a few to our bank here.
This one fits Rich real good
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

smokin joel

Feb 17, 2008
I like nh3b am looking for advice on breaking in or seasoning a new smoker, I just put together the Masterbuilt Smoker I ordered and before using want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

richtee

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Aug 12, 2007
Well...ya got to the middle of the thread.

Stop by Roll Call forum and say howdee...err..hello...err...well you know :{)

phantomsmoke

Jul 27, 2012
I wiped out the inside with soapy water and then with clean water.  Now I am putting it together.  When you season it do you put the racks in?  Or just clean those on their own?

Thanks from a newb!

phantomsmoke

Jul 27, 2012
Also, do you put the water pan in with any water?  Gonna season this sucker and do some pork starting early in the am :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom
Clicky