Seasoning Measurements

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I see now that you used cure from a different kit . You have help with that . Just wanted to post this as an example of what I talked about in post 8 .
See where it says breakdown for less than 25 lbs .
This helps the math challenged , like me .

Gotta get lucky once in awhile.... Like a blind squirrel finding an acorn.... LOL...

So the cure I used has a much higher salt content than cure #1, or because I had to use 3TSP of it that made it too salty?

So the cure I used has a much higher salt content than cure #1, or because I had to use 3TSP of it that made it too salty?

D. All The Above ... yes that's gonna be the problem... just get ya some cure#1 and start over... I like to get it in a resealable jug (screw on lid) ... If you have to use it by measurement... use a flat blade and scrap off excess cure from teaspoon (level) (per 5lbs of meat)

Reactions: ademily87
D. All The Above ... yes that's gonna be the problem... just get ya some cure#1 and start over...

So, I take it the summer sausage seasoning that came in the same kit as the cure has much less salt in it, and that's why for the summer sausage its 1TSP cure per pound?

yup ... premixed seasoning is great if you get it without cure packets ... then use your #1 cure ...

As stated above... use kits only with kits... do not comingle

When adding cure to a mix of meat, you are adding BASED on the % nitrite.... Generally shooting for ~150 Ppm....
With one cure having 1.25% nitrite and the other having 6.25% nitrite..... You would be adding 5 X's the salt to get the same amount of nitrite in one vs. the other...

ALWAYS add cure to get the correct amount of nitrite in the meat mix....

I don’t know the amount of water you used but a terrific calculator for cure can be found here
Diggity Dogs cure Calculator.
+1 use the above to calculate cure until you have the math down. For me, once I remembered that cure is added at a rate of .25% (.0025) it clicked. So for 3lbs, I convert that to grams 1362 then * .0025 = 3.4g cure #1.

Gonna ask the group: I have now accumulated a dozen or so small packs of "cure" that were included in various mix kits Owens, Leggs, etc. Just throw out? Or any way to verify if cure#1? I would imagine I could weight it and it should be able to be verified.

Reactions: daveomak
+1 use the above to calculate cure until you have the math down. For me, once I remembered that cure is added at a rate of .25% (.0025) it clicked. So for 3lbs, I convert that to grams 1362 then * .0025 = 3.4g cure #1.

Gonna ask the group: I have now accumulated a dozen or so small packs of "cure" that were included in various mix kits Owens, Leggs, etc. Just throw out? Or any way to verify if cure#1? I would imagine I could weight it and it should be able to be verified.

Without looking, I think the small packets of cure I got with A.C. Leggs, and others, have the nitrite % on the small packets...

If you have any that do not, I would pitch them....

Reactions: zwiller
Well, they're decent. Not as salty as I was expecting them to be after trying the patties. Edible, but in small bites lol

Thanks again for everyone's help. I'm new to all of this, and fortunately it was a fairly small batch that I learned my mistakes from. Next on the list is some #1 Cure!

Attachments

• 20201110_130957.jpg
    20201110_130957.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 6
I found my salt tolerance is better with sticks than patties.
I don't make sausage (yet), but I cure a lot of whole meats.
Happy I use my own spice blends and more importantly my cure blends.
DO NOT MIX INGREDIENTS FROM DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS....
Their recipes and ingredients are a marriage to insure customer satisfaction...
When adding cure to a mix of meat, you are adding BASED on the % nitrite.... Generally shooting for ~150 Ppm....
With one cure having 1.25% nitrite and the other having 6.25% nitrite..... You would be adding 5 X's the salt to get the same amount of nitrite in one vs. the other...

ALWAYS add cure to get the correct amount of nitrite in the meat mix....

Yes

Reactions: daveomak
I found my salt tolerance is better with sticks than patties.
I don't make sausage (yet), but I cure a lot of whole meats.
Happy I use my own spice blends and more importantly my cure blends.

Yes

These are definitely less salty (tasting) than the patties. The flavor is awesome!

I only took 2 sticks to work for the other 2 guys in my shop to try. I buttered em up with the SS first and told them to try the snack stick "at their own risk".

The bite is perfect. Texture is perfect. Spice is perfect. Salt is...well we all know how salty they are lol Co-workers enjoyed them but said they could definitely use less salt. I doubt this whole batch will be eaten, but there's always risk with reward. There's no telling how much money I wasted on making lack luster briskets before I finally got it right. Gotta pay to play, right? Fortunately I love to learn. I look forward to continuing my research and getting advice from you fine men and women of this forum. Cheers!

Attachments

• 20201110_141310.jpg
    20201110_141310.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 5
These are definitely less salty (tasting) than the patties. The flavor is awesome!

I only took 2 sticks to work for the other 2 guys in my shop to try. I buttered em up with the SS first and told them to try the snack stick "at their own risk".

The bite is perfect. Texture is perfect. Spice is perfect. Salt is...well we all know how salty they are lol Co-workers enjoyed them but said they could definitely use less salt. I doubt this whole batch will be eaten, but there's always risk with reward. There's no telling how much money I wasted on making lack luster briskets before I finally got it right. Gotta pay to play, right? Fortunately I love to learn. I look forward to continuing my research and getting advice from you fine men and women of this forum. Cheers!

Now that you have these sticks cut up you can try soaking a handful in ice water for about 3-4hrs and see how much salt is sucked out.
If that works well and the sausage texture isn't affected then you have solved your problem :)
I think after soaking and drying your sausages won't have a texture issue.

I've had to soak overly salty pork belly bacon for like 6 hours to fix it in the past. Let me know if you give this a shot and how it turns out :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky