• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Searing with a Looftlighter

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daytripper

Fire Starter
Dec 30, 2021
Hey all -

Just as the subject says - has anyone seared a sous-vide cook using a Looftlighter..? Seems much easier than firing up a grill just to sear, and maybe(?) more effective and outdoors-y than searing on a stovetop.

I'm thinking a prime rib done of the SV, then seared w. the Looft...

thanks!
marc

sandyut

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Huh, never heard of this device. Googled it to be schooled up. Seems like it would work. I mean 1200 degrees should be plenty even with no flame. WOuld work like an electric broiler i assume?

I just just a propane plumbing torch. Scares the hell out of my dogs tho.

daytripper

Fire Starter
Dec 30, 2021
thanks - let's see how we get on..! Will have a hot skillet ready just in case...

daytripper

Fire Starter
Dec 30, 2021
Results inconclusive. I had given it an impromptu smoke the day before - this gave it a lot of colour pre-SV, so I couldn't see the effects of the Looftlighter on the meat.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
+1. Bonus points for scaring the crap out of ANYONE nearby while using it. :emoji_laughing:

20220305_174710_resized_1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
Clicky