Sauerkraut Balls

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
THANKS to everybody for the likes. Again no leftovers. I’m interested in the different dipping sauces others have had. Be like a smorgasbord for kraut balls if I had multiple sauces for dipping.

THANKS to everybody for the likes. Again no leftovers. I’m interested in the different dipping sauces others have had. Be like a smorgasbord for kraut balls if I had multiple sauces for dipping.
I've also had them with ranch dip. They were good, but I like the chipoltle dipping sauce better.

Hoping by new years I got an air fryer..other wise I'll wok fry..

Dipping sauces I'd use: Cranberry Aioli.

Or Horseradish+mayo

Buzzy those look fantastic!!!! We had some for our first time at a german restaurant outside of Galveston last spring. They were amazing... Copied that recipe. Thx!! Like
Congrats on your carousel ride.

These used to be an Ohio thing and a MUST HAVE for Christmas parties. Started in Akron from memory. Around here everyone has their own spin on it. My aunts/familes uses corned beef instead of sausage. If you've never had them and they sound remotely good to you MAKE THEM as the are awesome. We do them New Years Eve usually.

LOL Tom
You're dead on. I believe it is the Hungarian population here in Akron who are responsible for this masterpiece. I am considering smoking up a pork butt to give this a new spin. I think the Menches Brothers (renowned vendors of the world's fair midway who also created the waffle cone and the brown sugar and seasoned beef hamburger patty famous from our area) who were responsible for spreading the idea.

Reactions: zwiller
Nicely done, Buzzy! I actually live here in the original home of the sauerkraut ball, and have seen some fun sauces at local restaurants. I'll gather a few for you and post them up. One I seem to recall was a thousand island-like sauce that had some extra kick of what I believe was horseradish and paprika. I'll dig a few up and pass them along.

Reactions: buzzy
Nicely done, Buzzy! I actually live here in the original home of the sauerkraut ball, and have seen some fun sauces at local restaurants. I'll gather a few for you and post them up. One I seem to recall was a thousand island-like sauce that had some extra kick of what I believe was horseradish and paprika. I'll dig a few up and pass them along.

THANKS
That would be greatly appreciated. Thinking about time to double recipe so there’s leftovers.

These look fantastic. I can't believe my girlfriend that loves Happy Joe's ham and sauerkraut pizza hasn't heard of something like this. We will have to do this. It looks like it could be a dip without battering and frying kinda like a hot artichoke dip.

Reactions: Walchit and zwiller
LOL. Was gonna post about a mention of sauerkraut pizza but thought no one would get it. Local joint has been doing it for a long time, like 30 years+. Doubt they invented it but they are well known for it. Their style is thin crust and sauerkraut pepperoni is what everyone gets. One interesting tidbit that I like pass along is the place is FASTIDIOUS about their draft beer maintenance. You wouldn't think it matters but it makes a huge difference.

Sorry I'm late Buzzy, but those look awesome!!
Never thought of that one!!
Nice Job!!
Like.

Bear

These r a big hit around here

8 oz pork sausage. (I use smoked sausage that I had)
1/4 c fine chopped onions
14 oz drained kraut (chopped fine
2 Tbs dry bread crumbs
1 pkg softened cream cheese 8 oz
2 Tbs parsley
1 tsp yellow mustard
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 c flour

2 beat eggs
1/4 c milk

3/4 c dry bread crumbs

Oil for deep frying
View attachment 383562 View attachment 383563Fry sausage & onions until browned. Drain View attachment 383564Chop kraut fine View attachment 383565Mix kraut & sausage View attachment 383567Mix next 6 ingredients View attachment 383568Then mix the 2 together View attachment 383569Get the assembly line in order. Had to move to garage. There wasn’t enough room for me & my balls in kitchen. Roll in flour then milk & egg then bread crumbs View attachment 383571In the deep fryer at 375. Could do this on greased baking pan in oven at 375 for 15-20 minutes. I’ve never have so not sure of out come View attachment 383572Already to eat. Have to save rest for company coming later. Thanks for looking & Merry Christmas to all.
Looks delicious!

This is one of the GREAT things about this site.

Many regional recipes and thoughts on food!

I've only been here awhile and I don't think I could eat even ONE of each product that has been showcased!
Although, some I would eat nearly EVERYDAY!

I love home made sauerkraut, and these balls look like they'd be perfect for sitting around the firepit with some adult beverage and good friends!
We'd have a "Fart'n" good time!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky