Royal Oak Classic vs. Natural briquettes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

newbienick

Fire Starter
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Aug 4, 2015
NW Ohio
I've stocked up on Royal Oak briquettes at Lowes again this spring, but now, I've noticed that the bag says "Classic". When I checked RO's website, they say that they have Classic and Natural briquettes. Has anybody tried both? Any difference in my smoker? The last thing that I want is chemicals in my smoke, and that's one of the things that I've liked about RO.

Of course, I've got a brisket and beef ribs waiting to get on the smoker! Help please!

Reactions: JC in GB
I am a die hard RO fan and I don't think there are any chemicals other than what occurs naturally by the production of charcoal.I also think the All Natural is a marketing gimmick to get the green weenies to buy their charcoal,however I also believe the All Natural is denser,burns hotter and lasts longer,as RO claims.

I emailed RO with my question and got the response below:

The classic briquet consists of hardwood char, coal and other proprietory ingredients. Where as, our natural products are 100% all natural hardwood. We do not recommend using the classic briquet in your smoker. However, we highly suggested grilling with either the Royal Oak all natural briquet or all nutural hardwood lump.

Resurrecting this thread as I bought a ton of these Classic briquets at Lowes for 70 cents on clearance. Why wouldn't they recommend using them in a smoker?

I emailed RO with my question and got the response below:

The classic briquet consists of hardwood char, coal and other proprietory ingredients. Where as, our natural products are 100% all natural hardwood. We do not recommend using the classic briquet in your smoker. However, we highly suggested grilling with either the Royal Oak all natural briquet or all nutural hardwood lump.

This is what Royal Oak said about their own product. If they are saying not to use it, I'm probably going to trust them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky