Rookie Aussie!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

steph611

Original poster
Jan 9, 2017
Hi everyone,

My family and I recently moved to San Diego from Sydney, Australia. Back home I loved the show BBQ Pitmasters so my husband bought me a smoker for Christmas! It's a Masterbuilt 30 inch electric smoker (I heard that electric smokers are easier for beginners).

I had my first go at smoking baby back ribs yesterday and was really happy with the flavour but would have liked for them to fall off the bone a bit more. I have read enough of these forums to know that competition ribs should have a bite but I prefer the meat to fall off the bone, so please don't yell at me, haha! Not sure whether to cook them for longer or to increase the temperature next time, so will be looking to this forum to help me!

Thanks, and have a great day!

Welcome to SMF!

The easiest way to get FOTB ribs is to foil them for a couple of hours.

If you have a good instant read therm you could also check the IT.

FOTB would be about 200-205 IT.

Al

Last edited:
Thanks! I used the 2-2-1 method, which ended up being more like 2-2-1.5. Temp was 225 degrees, should it have been higher? 

Also, when you wrap the ribs in foil with the liquid should they be placed on the rack rib side down (which is what I did) or meat side down?

IT was only 150....wasn't sure what it should have been!

Thanks again :)

Last edited:
225 is fine. If you verify that with a reliable therm. The MES controllers are notoriously inaccurate.

Could be if you were going by the MES that you really weren't at 225.

When you foil the ribs put them meat side down.

Al

Last edited:
texas.gif
  Good morning and welcome to the forum from a cloudy and windy day here in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of          great people with tons of information on just about everything.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky