Red Habanero Score

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
Locally we have several very large national produce farm and distribution operations. One of them is a friend who is asked to keep an eye out for red habaneros vs the orange I always see I'm the stores. Got a text yesterday he scored a truckload from a farm in southern Ohio. Before they head out to stores across the states and Canada I scored a bushel for $40. I'll be stemming, halving and vacuum packing peppers all day I guess haha. In between that I need to clean and cook a half bushel of local green beans I scored for $5. Gotta love the produce in my area. With these added to the freezer I'll have countless pepper combos for sauces all winter!!
1000005301-01.jpeg
1000005300-01.jpeg

All done. There was a huge amount of waste with many peppers black inside. My buddy told me that's why they steer clear of red habs as there is less waste in orange ones. Still super happy with it as I yielded 16 good cleans pounds for $40. Despite caution and gloves I have one arm on fire and a spot on my forehead lol.
1000005325-01.jpeg

Some poor slob in Vermont probably isn't getting his red habanero fix thanks to you Jeff. LOL

Nice score and I'm looking forward to the final product.

Point for sure
Chris

Better on the arm than in the eye...
100% no doubt. I did rub a little ghost in my eye last week. Just the tomatoes but was fire lol
Some poor slob in Vermont probably isn't getting his red habanero fix thanks to you Jeff. LOL

Nice score and I'm looking forward to the final product.

Point for sure
Chris
Ha these will go into many batches and blends. You never know , one of those blends could end up in Vermont!

Locally we have several very large national produce farm and distribution operations. One of them is a friend who is asked to keep an eye out for red habaneros vs the orange I always see I'm the stores. Got a text yesterday he scored a truckload from a farm in southern Ohio. Before they head out to stores across the states and Canada I scored a bushel for $40. I'll be stemming, halving and vacuum packing peppers all day I guess haha. In between that I need to clean and cook a half bushel of local green beans I scored for $5. Gotta love the produce in my area. With these added to the freezer I'll have countless pepper combos for sauces all winter!!View attachment 676061View attachment 676060
Those are some beautiful habs my friend. Very fortunate to make such a score. Do you find they have a better flavor than the orange? Oh, and do your peppers become soft after freezing without blanching?

Reactions: JLeonard
Those are some beautiful habs my friend. Very fortunate to make such a score. Do you find they have a better flavor than the orange? Oh, and do your peppers become soft after freezing without blanching?
I do prefer the red color as I think they are a bit hotter and fruitier. That said I don't dislike orange either. This is the first year I've froze peppers for ferments at a later time. We shall see how that goes. Folks say it works well. All will be used in fermented sauces so texture won't matter.
SCORE!!!!
Heck yes!

Last edited:
I do prefer th mctovrh coranf as I think they are a bit hotter and fruitier. That said I don't dislike orange either. This is the first year I've froze peppers for ferments at a later time. We shall see how that goes. Folks say it works well. All will be used in fermented sauces so texture won't matter.

Heck yes!
Mom always says you have to blanch before freezing but from what I researched they claim peppers don't require it, but great point it not matter since it's going to sauce.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky