Recteq 1250 WiFi problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Central Florida (Sebring)
OK, I know this has happened to at least one of you guys. My 1250 has been working flawlessly for about 1 year. Then last weekend, no WiFi connection. I tried all the things that they said to do & finally just talked to a tech guy. He told me that the problem was on my end. We were on the phone for about 1/2 hour & I repeated all the steps he suggested, still no connection. He said it was my router. OK I must have 20 things on this network. I pay for gig speed internet & have 3 extenders around the house. I very seldom show less than 3 bars. Everything else in the house is connected, and he is saying that it’s my router. I think it’s his controller or circuit board. The red WiFi light is on, but it won’t show up on my phone. Yes I rebooted the phone, uninstalled the app ( lost a year of cook info ), disconnected my network & tried to connect with another network. Nothing worked. Any ideas?
Al

Reactions: JLeonard
OK, I know this has happened to at least one of you guys. My 1250 has been working flawlessly for about 1 year. Then last weekend, no WiFi connection. I tried all the things that they said to do & finally just talked to a tech guy. He told me that the problem was on my end. We were on the phone for about 1/2 hour & I repeated all the steps he suggested, still no connection. He said it was my router. OK I must have 20 things on this network. I pay for gig speed internet & have 3 extenders around the house. I very seldom show less than 3 bars. Everything else in the house is connected, and he is saying that it’s my router. I think it’s his controller or circuit board. The red WiFi light is on, but it won’t show up on my phone. Yes I rebooted the phone, uninstalled the app ( lost a year of cook info ), disconnected my network & tried to connect with another network. Nothing worked. Any ideas?
Al
Issue could be your router is running 5ghz and your smoker might require 2.4ghz. I know some people have issues with wireless therms because of that. Might be something to check out if you haven't already

Issue could be your router is running 5ghz and your smoker might require 2.4ghz. I know some people have issues with wireless therms because of that. Might be something to check out if you haven't already
This is the issue I've had with my Traeger...although its weird that it only started happening now, after a year of with working fine.

Reactions: SmokinAl
Al, you can login to your router and see if the Rectec is connected. You can also download a tool from App store to "see" and analyze wifi signals, look for wifi scanner, wifi analyzer. Some of these apps will let you see if your grill is on the network. Hope this helps a bit

RG

If you have an old router, you can plug that into your better router and see if you can access wifi from that... I'm assuming that everything else using wifi is ok? I'm also guessing that you have power cycled the router? Did the router update recently?

Al, I have an ASUS router that every once in a while stops allowing connections. Some devices still work but others can't reconnect. A complete power off (pull the plug) wait 30 seconds and re-power the router solves the problem. Worth a shot.... The other thing I can think of is if your router has a single SSID for both the 2.4 & 5ghz bands. This can cause connection issues. Try turning off the 5ghz and see if the RecTec connects. If it does, then re-enable the 5ghz.

Thanks Jake, but this is a dual band controller, meaning it will work with both & has for a year. I’m no computer geek, but if something works for a year & every other device on your network is connected, and all of a sudden this is not, it kinda makes you think it may be the Recteq.
Al
This is the issue I've had with my Traeger...although it’s weird that it only started happening now, after a year of with working fine.
Did you ever resolve it?
Al
In the app delete the network and re-add it.
Did it, no go!
Al
Al, you can login to your router and see if the Rectec is connected. You can also download a tool from App store to "see" and analyze wifi signals, look for wifi scanner, wifi analyzer. Some of these apps will let you see if your grill is on the network. Hope this helps a bit

RG
Xfinity has its own app showing everything that is connected to the network, and Recteq does not show up. It used to!
Al
If your phone has the ability to be a hotspot try connecting the rectec to the wifi hotspot on your phone.
OK Brian I will try that in the morning, I think my phone & or my iPad is a hotspot.
Al
If you have an old router, you can plug that into your better router and see if you can access wifi from that... I'm assuming that everything else using wifi is ok? I'm also guessing that you have power cycled the router? Did the router update recently?
All I know is the only thing that isn’t connected to the network is the RT, & I have 24 other devices connected.
Al
Al, I have an ASUS router that every once in a while stops allowing connections. Some devices still work but others can't reconnect. A complete power off (pull the plug) wait 30 seconds and re-power the router solves the problem. Worth a shot.... The other thing I can think of is if your router has a single SSID for both the 2.4 & 5ghz bands. This can cause connection issues. Try turning off the 5ghz and see if the RecTec connects. If it does, then re-enable the 5ghz.
OK Dude, I did the unplug thing, but turning off the 5ghz is not in my wheelhouse. But why would my router connect for the last year, then now nothing?
Al

Last edited:
Well something interesting for you. We just purchased a new XBox a few days ago for my Oldest Boy. Was connected to the kids network that I have in the house. Yesterday it stopped working. I tinkered and it wouldn't connect. Other devices did. I connected it to the Parent's network I have setup and it worked.

Still haven't figured out why it stopped connected and truth be told I haven't investigated yet. Thats going to happen shortly.

Al, Someone next to you could have gotten a new router and you are now getting interference. Turning off one of the frequencies may solve it. You have to log into your router as an admin to change it. Just google it and it will walk you through it.

I would try to see if it shows up on your wife's phone as well.

...this is a dual band controller, meaning it will work with both & has for a year. I’m no computer geek, but if something works for a year & every other device on your network is connected, and all of a sudden this is not, it kinda makes you think it may be the Recteq.
Al, my new router is dual-band too. Luckily the bands have different names with "5G" appended to the end of the fast one. And I quite often find that devices will have mysteriously reconnected themselves to the "other" band. For new devices going to the slow band, it's just an inconvenience. But old devices going high can appear as dead dogs. So I wouldn't be too quick to discount that possibility.

But I'm not an RT guy and although I dig the high tech on some things, my cookers are pretty simple electronics and my musical instruments are purely acoustic.

I'm finding in life that "Not all time-savers are".

Have you had any new software updates recently? Also if your phone has the capability you can ping the router and you should be able to ping the smoker if it has an IP address(which it should).
I'm pretty sure apple phones require a special app for pinging. There may be others that do too. I'm not up to date on all the newer stuff. I stopped writing code a long time ago, and use a rotary phone.

Chris

What was said all ready said. Your app might of did an update and if your router has same name for both 5 and 2.4 like mine you have to turn the 5 off. Do you know the name of your router, eero? I might be able to step you through it.

Last edited:
Al, if you cannot see the Recteq on the network then it is most likely your grill. Try the Hotspot thing or get the grille in its discovery mode and go from there. It is usually something simple...but wifi radios do die. I have a perfectly good TV in the bedroom, will not connect, radio is dead....love the RoKu.

RG

Well something interesting for you. We just purchased a new XBox a few days ago for my Oldest Boy. Was connected to the kids network that I have in the house. Yesterday it stopped working. I tinkered and it wouldn't connect. Other devices did. I connected it to the Parent's network I have setup and it worked.

Still haven't figured out why it stopped connected and truth be told I haven't investigated yet. Thats going to happen shortly.

Al, Someone next to you could have gotten a new router and you are now getting interference. Turning off one of the frequencies may solve it. You have to log into your router as an admin to change it. Just google it and it will walk you through it.

I would try to see if it shows up on your wife's phone as well.

Al, my new router is dual-band too. Luckily the bands have different names with "5G" appended to the end of the fast one. And I quite often find that devices will have mysteriously reconnected themselves to the "other" band. For new devices going to the slow band, it's just an inconvenience. But old devices going high can appear as dead dogs. So I wouldn't be too quick to discount that possibility.

But I'm not an RT guy and although I dig the high tech on some things, my cookers are pretty simple electronics and my musical instruments are purely acoustic.

I'm finding in life that "Not all time-savers are".

Have you had any new software updates recently? Also if your phone has the capability you can ping the router and you should be able to ping the smoker if it has an IP address(which it should).
I'm pretty sure apple phones require a special app for pinging. There may be others that do too. I'm not up to date on all the newer stuff. I stopped writing code a long time ago, and use a rotary phone.

Chris

What was said all ready said. Your app might of did an update and if your router has same name for both 5 and 2.4 like mine you have to turn the 5 off. Do you know the name of your router, eero? I might be able to step you through it.

Al, if you cannot see the Recteq on the network then it is most likely your grill. Try the Hotspot thing or get the grille in its discovery mode and go from there. It is usually something simple...but wifi radios do die. I have a perfectly good TV in the bedroom, will not connect, radio is dead....love the RoKu.

RG

OK guys thanks for all the responses, I’m pretty good with computers, but the geek stuff that recteq wants me to do & some of the stuff you guys are saying is beyond my expertise. I am having a hard time changing any settings on my router, because we have around 20+ things on the network, and every one of them is fine. It’s just the RT. At this point I think it is a recteq problem & I’m just gonna turn it on manually & monitor the temp with a Meater+.
Al

RecTeq--are you listening? Al is a stalwart member here and he's giving up on a key feature of your product. HELP HIM OUT!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky