Recommendations

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jokensmoken

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
Whitmore Lake Michigan
Okay, I'm in the market for dependable tech...
Being an old guy I'm not tech savy and have used well calibrated dial thermos for decades...
I got a cheap digital a few years back and and have come to fully appreciate the convenience of them and understand the incredible convenience a good remote unit would be (especially since I'm getting OLD and all nighters and running in and out of the cold in winter just ain't so much fun any more...lol).
I've run the gambit on ECOs and refuse to fight with and or replace cheap units over and again...
So here's what I want.
• RF remote...it can have wifi or bluetooth capabilities also (ideally all 3 would be nice) but MUST be a stand alone unit.
• 4 probe minimum (6-8 preferable) with 6 foot leads.
• Weather and temperature resistant...
the sending unit must work in below freezing outdoor temps
• Programable high and low temp alarms
• Long hours of operation on batteries or unit charge.
It isnt unusual for me to run long smokes lasting 18-20 hours or more, nor is it unusual for me to be "in the wilderness" with no access to 110v electricity for a week at a time or more.
• Long life and dependable
Distance of signal reception (within reason) is less important than the dependability and longevity.
I smoke a lot, and I smoke year round and I smoke in multiple locations...I want something that WORKS every time.
These are my minimum requirements/wishes...anything and everything else is a bonus.
I will NOT SAY price is no object but spending 100 bucks or more is not beyond possibility if it meets my requirements and isnt something I need to replace every few seasons...
So folks I'd appreciate any and all recomendations.

Walt

Though I do not have it, this one here was recently recommended to me in a thread that I made about a different
I think this one will click all the boxes for you. They are a sponsor here on SMF. They just finished a 50% off for members. They may still have a percent off deal going.

https://amzn.to/2WfUgV5

Weedeater
Thanks loads...
It most certainly does fit the bill exactly.
Much appreciated...
It figures that I'd get serious about an upgrade a week after a 50% off promo.
But thanks...this looks exactly like what I've been looking for and right in the wheelhouse on price...
Much appreciated...
Walt

Glad to be of help. The below post still works for 20% off at Amazon.

InkbirdbbqSmoke BlowerSponsorSMF Premier Member
Hi, nice for everybody,

Here is Inkbird Tech which specializes in wireless grilling thermometers, such as RF wireless thermometers, bluetooth thermometers, fast read thermometers and waterproof IPX5 wireless thermometers.

Inkbird is committed to providing the high quality products and the best customer service support.
Any problems, please contact us via our forum ID Inkbirdbbq or [email protected]. We must try our best to service you.

Hereby, we are supporting 20% off discount codes in the Amazon stores for our customers from US and Canada.

US Store: https://amzn.to/2qCmpXT
20% off Code: NAHOFJDK

CA Store:
https://amzn.to/2PLvYlC
20% off code: 4Z4WZAD6

Thanks for your support!

Sincerely,
Inkbird Tech

Give it a try.

Weedeater

Glad to be of help. The below post still works for 20% off at Amazon.

InkbirdbbqSmoke BlowerSponsorSMF Premier Member
Hi, nice for everybody,

Here is Inkbird Tech which specializes in wireless grilling thermometers, such as RF wireless thermometers, bluetooth thermometers, fast read thermometers and waterproof IPX5 wireless thermometers.

Inkbird is committed to providing the high quality products and the best customer service support.
Any problems, please contact us via our forum ID Inkbirdbbq or [email protected]. We must try our best to service you.

Hereby, we are supporting 20% off discount codes in the Amazon stores for our customers from US and Canada.

US Store: https://amzn.to/2qCmpXT
20% off Code: NAHOFJDK

CA Store:
https://amzn.to/2PLvYlC
20% off code: 4Z4WZAD6

Thanks for your support!

Sincerely,
Inkbird Tech

Give it a try.

Weedeater
Just ordered it...found a good deal on amazon and with the promo code it was a bit over 50 bucks...thanks for the info and the code...much appreciated...
If as advertised, a d I've no reason to think it isnt, it is EXACTLY what I was looking for.
Im looking forward to using and reviewing it.
Walt

I just received my new inkbird rf 45 4 probe thermometer. Shipping was fast, I just ordered it Monday evening...
The units came fully charged and the instructions were amazingly simple and to the point...getting it programmed and up and running was a snap.
In a boiling water/ice water test all four probes were identical and read the correct temps.
In the "oven" mode that allows for high and low temp alarms the all four probes work as they should.
I'm anxious to put it to the real test...in a hunk-0-meat and monitoring my cook chamber temps...
I think I'm going to be extreamly happy with this purchase.
Thanks for the recommendation weedeater.

Walt.

I too took advantage of the 50% deal for the IRF-4S that Skye had going the other week.
Finally got the chance to use it today for monitoring chamber temps while smoking some cheese followed with smoking a tri tip.
It is accurate and fast. I like that the transmitter has a magnet so you can just stick it on the back or side of your smoker.
So, yeah you did very well in getting one.
Enjoy.

Jokensmoken,
Used mine for the second time today. Worked just as it should and I did not lose connectivity a single time. That was the issue I was having with my older Maverick. It was always just on the verge of losing connectivity. Glad yours is working out for you too!

Weedeater

Jokensmoken,
Used mine for the second time today. Worked just as it should and I did not lose connectivity a single time. That was the issue I was having with my older Maverick. It was always just on the verge of losing connectivity. Glad yours is working out for you too!

Weedeater
Losing connectivity has been my issue constantly, however I've been using inexpensive "off" brands just not wanting to spend the cash on a "gizmo" I've been successful for so long without...
When everything failed super bowl Sunday and I had to resort to my box full of dial thermos I gave long thought and decided to bite the bullet one more time on a more expensive thermo...
Next weekend will tell the tale as I'm doing a butt and ABTs for my brother in laws BD.
Walt

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky