Recommendations Please: Best Set It and Forget It Smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

toystry

Original poster
Jul 4, 2017
Read tons of forums, articles, etc and the TRAEGER seem to be pretty easy to use, with the biggest complaint being three things:

1.  Pellets they sell suck

2.  Not enough smoke flavor

3.  Cheap construction

I'm lazy, I'll be honest.  I don't want to tend to meat all day in order to smoke something which is why I've leaned towards the pellet smokers as I've heard they are much easier to use.  With that, I'm sure there is some give and take by using a pellet smoker vice other models.

I'd love to hear from the pros with a lot of experience with smokers, especially if you're anti-pellets, as to why I should go another route.

Thanks for the assist.

Everyone has a opinion and I can only tell you mine.  I have owned a Traeger since 2010. I had the Lil Texas Elite until this year when I bought the new Traeger Timberline 850.   I never had a issue even once with my Lil Tex.  I just kept it vacuumed out and used only Traeger pellets.  I gave it to my sister who still uses it weekly.   I have tried other pellets but I think the Traeger pellets are better and provide more flavor.  As for smoke flavor that is controlled by technique.  I can flavor ribs, pork butts, brisket etc etc etc with tons of smoke flavor on a Traeger. I had a New Braunfels offset smoker for 15 years prior to my first Traeger and I can make the exact same pork butts on a Traeger as I did on the offset.  As far as construction being cheap I can only say the two I have owned were well built and withstood a lot of use.  In my opinion pellet grills are not for everyone.  I had to basically forget everything I learned in 15 years with a offset and start over with the Traeger.   Cooking times and temps are completely different.  Above 225 a pellet grill produces very little smoke thus more time at a low temp then a higher temp to finish.   Hope this helps.  

If you want good smoke flavor & set & forget.

Then get a WSM 22.5, with a BBQ Guru pit controller.

I run mine for 23 hours without adding any wood or charcoal & the temp never varies more than a couple of degrees.

Al

If you want good smoke flavor & set & forget.

Then get a WSM 22.5, with a BBQ Guru pit controller.

I run mine for 23 hours without adding any wood or charcoal & the temp never varies more than a couple of degrees.

Al
Xs 2 on that 

Richie

Im not anti-pellet per-se... but Charcoal and wood chunks is the best for the middle of the road that's versatile and efficient in everything. I wouldn't own a Treager. There are much better options if you want a pellet pooper anyway. Get the Webber Smoky Mountain in the size of your choice, and you will see how good BBQ can get with minimal babysitting. That is with-or-without a Guru. If you want something more set-and-forget, you cant go wrong with an electric cabinet smoker that can burn chips or pellets in it as well in a tray or tube etc.. In any case there are trade-offs.

I have a Green Mountain Pellet Grill, Daniel Boone model. It is truly set and forget and can grill as well. I added a product called grill grates to it that I use for grilling and it produces great results. It is very well built as well.  I also own and use a smoking-it smoker. It is an electric that uses small chunks of wood. It is all stainless and again a truly set it and forget it option if you want it to be. It also produces a great tasting product. Electrics do not produce the traditional smoke ring but that has nothing to do wit the taste of the meat cooked in it, it is strictly a look that is caused through a chemical process when wood burns.

There are other great options do your research and whatever you choose I'm sure you will love it. I will close by saying don't go cheap, you will end up buying something that you really wanted later. Just go ahead and get what you want.

In my book, set it and forget it takes two things:

#1  An MES 40 Generation #2.5 electric Smokehouse. Heat control from 100° to 275°.

#2  An AMNPS "Amazing Smoker" Tray to produce up to 11 straight hours of perfect smoke. 

I've been using MES Units for 8 years, and love them, especially this new Gen # 2.5.

Made all these things with them:

Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

Last edited:
So I'm torn after seeing a Traeger in person.  They seem pretty flimsy in construction and there are a lot of mixed reviews.  For those with a WSM, what do you like/dislike about this option?

So I'm torn after seeing a Traeger in person.  They seem pretty flimsy in construction and there are a lot of mixed reviews.  For those with a WSM, what do you like/dislike about this option?

I have had my WSM for three or four years there is nothing to dislike about them as long as you stock up on charcoal when it's on sale! I have the 18.5 but would like to move up to a 22.5 mainly to use with my rotisserie. I suggest you go to a store that sells them assembled to see how much you can pack in there.

I had a KAMAdo style smoker for years and went to a pellet grill recently. I really like mine, pellets taste good and it's easy to switch between high and low heat. Cleaner overall and heats up quick with no fuss. You will need to add a smoke tube if you like a lot of smoke.

I had a KAMAdo style smoker for years and went to a pellet grill recently. I really like mine, pellets taste good and it's easy to switch between high and low heat. Cleaner overall and heats up quick with no fuss. You will need to add a smoke tube if you like a lot of smoke.

I added the smoke tube and you are correct that is a must if you like the smoke as I do.

whats your budget when it comes to the pellet smoker? Ive been pretty anti pellet for a long time but im starting to come around on them in the last 2 years or so

Last edited:
If you haven't already, check out the "Pit Boss at Menards" thread. It spans several years and gives a lot of good info on the ins and outs of Pellet Grills over the years. I have a Pit Boss 820 myself. I have been smoking and grilling for over 40 years now so from a 1950's grill to a wedding gift Webber Kettle to a Brinkman Smok'n Pit Pro to a Char-Griller Duo with offset firebox (a mistake I will never make again!), numerous pop-up hog pits complete with home made welded re-bar grates, to campfires and fire pits all over, to my Pit Boss 820 pellet grill I have used a lot of devices. I have a friend that bought an older Traeger that did a great job smoking but it even it had some issues and it seems even Traeger has slid toward lower quality in recent years though their price doesn't seem to reflect it. As a former smoking purist, never using anything but real hardwoods for smoking and being ever vigilant and present for every minute of smoke, I would rather have skewered my own eyeball than changed to a pellet grill (sorry for the graphic example). That being said: If my Pit Boss ever gives up the ghost, I will seek out another pellet grill in a heartbeat! I love the Pit Boss 820 and find that with pellets of many different species as well as competition blends becoming increasingly easier to find and less and less expensive it has opened a whole new life of smoking. My first few smokes (ribs and shoulders) found me constantly at the side of the new pellet grill expecting to make adjustments and correction but actually it ended up just a waste of my time to do so, it not actually needing my help. With low expectations I sampled the first ribs and, fully expecting to be disappointed with the competition blend and lack of hands-on babysitting, was told by my family they were some of the best ribs they'd ever had. Even with bruised feelings I saw the light: I could actually do two things at once now! And my wife said that could never happen! My experiences with the pellet grill, like every other new piece of equipment, have improved and with a better understanding of how to manipulate the smoke for more intensity, among other perks, and my flawed reality thinking it necessary for me being there every second have led me to only one conclusion: I should have bought a pellet grill 40 years ago! Shop and read a lot, do your homework. Not having a great deal of money for a new smoker / grill, the Pit Boss was a great fit. If it didn't work out, I only had a few hundred into it.

Howdy Folks, I just got  my GriilaGrill, Silverbac, and they ship it for free and a 4yr wnty, and I did (2) smkes already, A 10lb for16hrs Butt, and a 14.5 Brisket for 17hrs, and it set there all night at 219*-230* flux, without me even have to lift the lid, and only use about 12-15lbs of LumberJack pellets...This rig is a beast..Go check it out online...You WILL buy one if even you don't need one...Trader's {;-p, smokers cant even share its shadow... Not even a hit of comparison ....

G

that is a pretty good guide line to follow, at 225*...(+/-)...if you do a whole packer Brisket and a 10lb butt at the same time, that is nothing to burn for a 16hr cook...That is alot of Grub for the Family , I vacuum seal it for a Samich a year from now when it is cold and raining outside...

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky