Rec Tec 680

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokefever

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Martinsburg WV
Hey everyone, I purchased my rec tec last week and its being delivered today. Gonna put it together when i get home from work. This is my first pellet grill. Ive read reviews and watched videos, and overall seems to be a great choice. Does anyone have experiences with these? What should I expect as far as performance? Do you season them like stick burners? Their instructions say to cook bacon in it to season it, but obviously only some splatter will occur, it wont coat the inside of the grill. Thanks for the help!

Best purchase you'll ever make for a pellet.  Perfect temp control and massive smoke IMO.  My fireboard shows swings on brisket cooks that only vary 2 degrees.

Best purchase you'll ever make for a pellet.  Perfect temp control and massive smoke IMO.  My fireboard shows swings on brisket cooks that only vary 2 degrees.

Awesome, thats exactly why I made the purchase. The 40lb hopper, consistency in temp and their customer service so far has sold me. I have asked a few questions on facebook, and everytime they give me their number to speak to them over the phone. Ive always cooked with stick burners, but as I get older, it gets harder to justify spending all day tending a fire and adjusting dampers.....my kids are growing and I'd like to spend as much time as possible with them when I have them. I got the kitchen sink bundle and the cold smoker box as well. Cant wait to do my first cook this weekend. Hardest part is figuring what I want to cook first!

>Awesome, thats exactly why I made the purchase. The 40lb hopper, 

Just curious why the 40lb hopper was an important factor for you?

>Awesome, thats exactly why I made the purchase. The 40lb hopper, 

Just curious why the 40lb hopper was an important factor for you?

I do alot of long cooks and alot of times I'm putting something else on immediately after finishing another meat. This will definitely allow me to leave for hours at a time without having to worry about pellets running out while Im gone.

I do alot of long cooks and alot of times I'm putting something else on immediately after finishing another meat. This will definitely allow me to leave for hours at a time without having to worry about pellets running out while Im gone.
OK, just be careful if you are moving it with the hopper full, particularly if on an uneven surface. There have been several reports of tipping and nearly tipping over when the hopper is full as it gets a bit top heavy.

I don't really see the value of a 40lb hopper. My Memphis holds 24lb, which will run about 30 hours at low and slow temps. I wouldn't plan on running unattended for more than 8 hours. I rarely fill the hopper more than 1/2 full.

OK, just be careful if you are moving it with the hopper full, particularly if on an uneven surface. There have been several reports of tipping and nearly tipping over when the hopper is full as it gets a bit top heavy.

I don't really see the value of a 40lb hopper. My Memphis holds 24lb, which will run about 30 hours at low and slow temps. I wouldn't plan on running unattended for more than 8 hours. I rarely fill the hopper more than 1/2 full.

It definitely wont be unattended for 8 hours. Maybe 4-5 at best to give me more time with the kids. Cant wait to fire it up and see what it can do

Very Nice, congratulations on such a great set up. The food looks delicious and its 5 am here and I would eat that right now. Great job. When you use the cold smoker, do let us know how that works for you. Happy grilling !!! Keep those photos coming too..

Very Nice, congratulations on such a great set up. The food looks delicious and its 5 am here and I would eat that right now. Great job. When you use the cold smoker, do let us know how that works for you. Happy grilling !!! Keep those photos coming too..

I definitely will, I plan on making some bacon and sausages so I'm anxious to see how it works. I had it cranked up to 400 degrees and it was only 200 in the cold smoker box.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky