• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Real Spareribs ~ Foamheart

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

foamheart

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
OTBS Member
Apr 4, 2013
Almost real anyway, I cheated and used an MES40 instead of the old firebreather! But would you just look at those ribs!

IMG_9070.JPG

I removed the membrane, and used copious amounts of sea salt and cracked black and nothing else! Don't those massive ribs just look happy? No not happy.... satisfied!

Fired up the MES40 and decided to experiment on the ribs. I had a pre-loaded 6" A-MAZE-N tube. I normally use a oval tube or the tray, but it just looked like it needed trying sitting in my pellet box. I was amazed how fast and easy it fired up and started smoking. I usually give my pellets 30 to 45 mins. outside the CC to ensure being lit besides it allows the meat to come up to temp first. No sense wasting all that good smoke. I closed to door on it and expected it to go out due to lack of draft like the tray but.... this thing was impressing me.

IMG_9073.JPG

Look at that smoke .... idiot proof too! See that little tiny tube down there? I got 5 great hours out of it, well, like you see. You'll note the remote sensor probe sitting there relaxing on the grate. Typical MES, the unit probe as well as the unit sensor are right together and about 25 degrees off. So I use the remote.

IMG_9077.JPG

No temp probe in the meat, no 3 2 1, just put the meat in and wait till it said it was ready. I used the break over method. I tried to take a couple of pictures of the break over but I found out I just wasn't that co-ordinated anymore ( I am going to blame it on the size and weight of that rack).

So when it had reached its prime I pulled it and brought it in and let it sit while I opened an ice cold Shiner Bock long-neck! That was as long as I could wait! Sliced a fresh onion, 2 slices of bread and sliced up that rack and commenced tearing it apart!

IMG_9078.JPG

I put it on about 1:30, It was almost there at 6:30, I pulled it at seven. The thin end wasn't dry but was ready the first check, the thick end almost but quite. How'd I know? It told me! I didn't need a crutch, I didn't need the remote thermometer, I just needed to wait till it told me.

Thats it, and now I am just fat, dumb and happy. It ain't such a bad way to be.......

I hope everyone's smoke today is equally as finger-lickin !

dcecil

Master of the Pit
Apr 3, 2018
The color and the pull back on those meaty son of guns tell the story. I’m sure those were tasty.

chinanick

Smoke Blower
May 4, 2017
I always 3-2-1 and was thinking of just throwing them on tomorrow, keep the lid closed and just wait

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
The only thing that beats looking at a good rack is chomping on one.

Point for sure

Chris

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Fine looking spares there Kevin!
I don't mind chewing around all that cartilage, but most of the time my guests don't, so I rarely do whole spares.
But yours sure look good!!!
Al

HalfSmoked

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 11, 2015
Yup just about the same way I do them except I have a Master Built 40" propane. No wrap and membrane remove.

Was in a BBQ restaurant and order ribs starting eating and got this crunch what the heck and it was the membrane . Man about ruin my dinner.

Warren

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Kevin they have some great color an pull back I tink I could do a job on that rack LIKES
Richie

banderson7474

Smoking Fanatic
May 24, 2016
Foam, how do you like them with only salt and pepper? I have never tried just that on pork ribs? Do you prefer them over the standard pork rubs? You don't sauce them either at the end right?

foamheart

OTBS Member
Apr 4, 2013
Yup just about the same way I do them except I have a Master Built 40" propane. No wrap and membrane remove.

Was in a BBQ restaurant and order ribs starting eating and got this crunch what the heck and it was the membrane . Man about ruin my dinner.

Warren

I don't mind the membrane, I don't alway remove it and I always leave it on the baby backs. They just get too tender too quick and I hate fall off the bone ribs. I know, sounds stupid huh? Wel I like the chew even though I am really just gumming it! LOL

foamheart

OTBS Member
Apr 4, 2013
Nice looking rack, Foam...or is it now the Rib Whisperer?

Thank you.... Anyone can do it with minimal effort, just takes some patience. You ever wonder why most BBQ places are run by old folks? Patience.

foamheart

OTBS Member
Apr 4, 2013
Kevin they have some great color an pull back I tink I could do a job on that rack LIKES
Richie

Thanks Richie! I get on kicks where I just can't get enough ribs! Sauced/unsauced, rubbed/unrubbed, It just doesn't matter I gotta have 'em. When I was on the road working I could tell you the best rib joints thru-out the south...LOL And the ones that had those nice hot damp napkins....LOL

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
Clicky