Quick pickled eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 11, 2013
Ok I've always wanted to try a pickled egg but I never really got around to it. I've never pickled anything and seeing as I'm not even sure I'll like pickled eggs I wasn't wanting to start the process for something I might dislike.

Long story short I just finished a Costco sized jar of famous daves spicy pickles. So instead of dumping the pickle juice I threw a few eggs in it today.

Guess my questions are will this work as far as using older pickle juice to attempt to pickle them?

And how long should I leave the eggs in the pickle jar?

Any help would be appreciated.

I tried left over Dill pickle juice, and I tried left over Bread & Butter pickle juice, and I didn't care for either, but that could be just my taste, although I love both of those kinds of pickles.

However I do the same thing with left over store bought Red Beet Juice after we eat the Red Beets, and I love it.

Time is 3 weeks or longer.

Here's a link:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/154385/pickled-eggs-lazy-bear-method

Bear

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Appreciated it bear. I actually saw a recipe online that used pickled beet juice!

My favorite things for pickled eggs is finish a jar of renkos or Hannah's pickled sausages and fill it with eggs when done.

Can't say I've had those Matt-n. But thanks I'll keep it in mind.

Hey Bear

I just started 12 pickled eggs a/la/bear yesterday.  Now I'm from Saskatchewan and we're raised on pickled eggs.  Just never heard of using pickled beet juice.  The only reason I'm only making 12, is that's all the jar would hold.  If they're as good as I expect, I'll be making a whole bunch of pickled beets this fall--a whole lot more.  Will let you know in 3 weeks what I think

Gary  

Gary,

icon14.gif

icon14.gif

popcorn.gif

Bear

Last edited:
Hey Bear 

Just as an aside, I take the juice from a jar of store bought hot bananna peppers and add a jar of sliced pimento stuffed olives.  Let it sit for 2 or 3 of weeks, and man do you have GREAT olives--they go great with any pasta dish Miss Linda serves.

Gary

Hey Bear 

Just as an aside, I take the juice from a jar of store bought hot bananna peppers and add a jar of sliced pimento stuffed olives.  Let it sit for 2 or 3 of weeks, and man do you have GREAT olives--they go great with any pasta dish Miss Linda serves.

Gary
Hmmm, I gotta try that---I always have both on hand !!!

Thanks Gary!!

Bear

Eggs in pickled beet juice you are making me hungry.

Never tried dill pickled juice. Hot sausage juice sounds good, might need to try that.

Last edited:
Question....

I put the eggs in the pickle juice about 5 days ago and just today they sank to the bottom. The last few days they were floating. Does this mean the pickle juice has finally water logged them and went all the way through? If so why wait a few more weeks?

Sorry for my ignorance, and thanks for any response.

Hey my friend

this is my second post re this.  If you got the first one, just trash this one.  Computers DO NOT love me.  So, I'm just a truck driver.  Love food, and really enjoy cooking it.  Pickles are something totally new to me.  Grew up on pickled eggs, but being from Sask. pickled beet juice was not a "major" component.  I'm trying it and I will definately leave it sit for at least 3 weeks.  Suggest you do the same.  Just me saying.  (If you like pickled eggs, it's just one redneck to another.)

Gary

3 weeks? I couldn't leave the jar closed that long. 3 days and it is time to start sampling. In 2 weeks a dozen would be history.

But I've eating them for more years than I care to mention.

Hahahahahahaha! Hilarious Gary! I'm just a truck driver to buddy and the reason they sank after floating for 4-5 days could be the same reason the satellites orbit earth and don't fly away for all I know!! Lmao!!

In my common man mind I figured maybe just maybe they became water logged and therefore the brine penetrated them completely. I don't know.... Throwing knifes in the dark over here! Maybe I hit something, maybe I didn't!! Lol!

Inbtb, I've never had one so the waiting is actually a lot easier than you'd expect. Although I am very curious! Since I only tried two eggs in this giant costco size jar of pickle brine I will probably wait two weeks and try one, and then at three weeks try the other and see what I think.

I go through one of these giant jars of pickles a month so I always have some. Funny thing is this is a bbq forum and the pickles from famous Dave's are what I like most about the whole place. Decent bbq at best around here. I don't mind throwing down $10 on a brisket and sausage samich but $25 on a slab of ribs that are done better at most bbq places around here really chaps my a*s. In general just not a fan of that franchise. Then again the key word there is "franchise".

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Sorry to take so long guys!!!

As for sinking after a few days-------I never noticed it, because my eggs are always jammed in pretty tight, so they can't move up or down in the jar.

However I can't think of any other reason other than they absorbed some pickling & became heavier than they were when they were put in the jar.

As for waiting 3 weeks------I have tried them at 3 days, 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks, etc, etc, and they taste pretty good at all of those points, but it seemed like 3 weeks was when the color got all the way into the center of the yoke. Any time longer than that didn't seem to make them any better.

It certainly won't hurt to try them earlier than 3 weeks, like I did, but just don't eat them all before you get to 3 weeks, or you won't be able to compare them like I did.

Bear

Please don't do like my Brother in law...... he didn't shell his eggs..... LOL.......
icon_rolleyes.gif

UPDATE:

I threw two eggs in the Dave's pickle brine a week ago. Tried one today. The eggs were greenish in color, and when I put a fork through it to pull it outta the jar it felt very dense when punctured.

here's the Dave's pickle jar, and the egg right after I pulled it out.

close up of the egg. The color hardly penetrated.

egg after a few bites.

another shot of the egg after it was bitten into.

So the color had hardly penetrated the egg, and it was really dense when I but into it. Is this how it usually is with pickled eggs? Just wondering.

Overall it had good flavor, I just found it odd it was so dense. The texture was what I imagine an over cooked hard boiled egg would be.

Lol! I was smart enough to make sure they were shelled!

UPDATE:

I threw two eggs in the Dave's pickle brine a week ago. Tried one today. The eggs were greenish in color, and when I put a fork through it to pull it outta the jar it felt very dense when punctured.

here's the Dave's pickle jar, and the egg right after I pulled it out.

close up of the egg. The color hardly penetrated.

egg after a few bites.

another shot of the egg after it was bitten into.

So the color had hardly penetrated the egg, and it was really dense when I bit into it. Is this how it usually is with pickled eggs? Just wondering.

Overall it had good flavor, I just found it odd it was so dense. The texture was what I imagine an over cooked hard boiled egg would be.
The pickled Red Beet Pickled Eggs penetrate a lot deeper. Below was after 3 weeks in left over Pickled Beet juice.

As you can see, it went through the egg white & most of the way through the yoke:

http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Bearcarver_2009/media/DSC05040.jpg.html

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky