Questions About LEM Products

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnh12

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
NE Florida
Lately I've been grinding meat for dog food and jerky with the attachment on the KitchenAide mixer.

I now want to start the process of sausage making so I'm looking for a decent setup.

So far I think it's narrowed down to either the LEM or Weston line of grinders and hand crank stuffers.

I have a 20% discount code from LEM that's good until Monday so I'm leaning that way at this time.

I now subscribe to the "go big or stay home" theory since most things I went cheap on have ended up costing more in the long run either because of product failure or simply outgrowing it. I also have a friend who's been paying a processor about $200 each to simply grind his deer into sausage. I'm sure he would like to do it at my place and share the meat. His processor has recently stopped doing any wild pig too so that will be an added bonus.

Right now I think the Big Bite #8 grinder will do the job so keeping with my lessons learned I think I should go with the #12.

I know that I could begin stuffing sausage with the grinder but will heed the advice of many who've been there and done that.

The question is about the dual gear LEM sausage stuffers. Do the dual gears just make it easier to crank or speed the actual stuffing process?

I also think the 5# would work so I want the 10# or 15#.

I don't know much about the Westons other than they cost a bit more than the LEM's.

I have a decent budget but haven't hit the lotto just yet so please keep it sort of reasonable.

Now I'll sit back with the beverage of my choice and wait for the knowledge to start flowing from this great forum.

Thanks to any who pipe it before Monday So I can use the discount if I go with the LEM.

I'd suggest searching both in the search engine, and see what others have said about each.  After reading through, you might want to PM those whose reviews you helpful and harmful for any clarifications, expansions, or updates they may have.  Tons of info out there, just spend some time researching.  Don't let an expiration on a coupon be your driving force behind this, nor wait for the info to "start flowing":  go get it, it's there for the taking.  Good luck.

I have the #12 LEM big bite grinder and it will grind as fast as you can put the meat in.     As far as the two speed stuffers go, my understanding is the second speed is for only cranking the stuffer up and down to get to the meat in the stuffer  faster or running the cranking the stuffer handle up when the stuffer is empty faster.    The actual stuffing operation is the same as the single speed stuffer.    I have the 5 pound capacity LEM stuffer and it works well for me.    Maybe someone will chime in that knows more about the two speed stuffers.

Check out the Hakka stuffers---  Amazon has them -----half the cost and built very well.  The two speeds on my Hakka are mostly a time saver, but the low speed gives better control and seems to add some power to stuffing small snack sticks.

Blaise

Seems to me that most of these products are made in China for various companies headquartered in the US.

The product info reads almost the same for the different brands.

Makes me wonder if they all come from the same plant/s in China and put out the door with different logos.

I have a Cablea's brand (made by Weston?) 20 lbs. stuffer with the two speeds. The faster speed is only for raising and lowering the plunger to the meat. The slower gear is for actual stuffing. I works very well.

My grinder is an old Hobart floor-standing mixer I bought used and added a stainless steel grinding attachment. Last Friday, we coarse ground 100 lbs of venison scraps and 36 lbs of pork trim in about an hour.

I have a big bite #8 and it does everything I need it to do. We process 4 to 6 deer per year and several pork butts to mix with ground venison. The only problem I have is I keep it in the garage and it doesn't like cold weather. It trips the safety switch a few times but does fine after it warms up.

Check out the Hakka stuffers---  Amazon has them -----half the cost and built very well.  The two speeds on my Hakka are mostly a time saver, but the low speed gives better control and seems to add some power to stuffing small snack sticks.

Blaise
Looks interesting.

Would you buy this one again or look elsewhere?

Thanks for all the info folks.

I just ordered the Cabela's 1.5 HP Carnivore series. weighing in at 75# it's a beast. It also has a reverse that should help with any possible jams. I don't know if it's a gimmick but the Cool-Tek Gel Ice Pak that's included sound neat.

I went with the Cabela's because they don't add sales tax for those of us in Florida and they had free shipping. I did have to pay $8 surcharge though because it's considered oversize. The EDD is mid-next week.

Cabela's also has a lifetime warranty for their store branded products vs the 5 year warranty from Weston. I hope I don't have to test it out though.

I still haven't decided on the stuffer yet but am leaning towards the Hakka 7# for $130 with free shipping and the fact that they have dual gears that make the retract stroke faster. I may wait to see how hard it is to use the tubes on the grinder for awhile and see how the family like the recipes.

Now I'll be searching the forum for the many great recipes I've only glanced at.

Thanks again to all those who shared their opinions.

Just ordered the Hakka 15# horizontal stuffer. Walmart had the best price with free delivery. It's sold and shipped through Hakka Brothers, the manufacturer.

I also ordered some seasoning mixes from Owens BBQ to get started.

I think my local Academy store sells casings.

I'll try to get a review on the grinder and stuffer after a couple of batches.

Sounds like you've made good decisions.  Enjoy and keep practicing.

Review for stuffing with the Kitchenaid attachment for others.  It is quite annoying for me.  The meat squeezes out around the plunger and when pulling the plunger back it suctions out.  I got a lot of air bubbles.  I got a 5# stuffer and it is so much easier.

The Kitchenaid seems to work well for grinding, but the most I've done in a day is 10lbs.  I don't hunt and I have a small family so I don't have the need or inclination to do large batches.  If I do more at a time, so for holiday presents or such, I might look at another grinder so I don't burn out my mixer but it is ok for now. 

I think you have it covered.  Your grinder could probably grind a bowling ball :P

I process 5-7 animals (deer and feral hogs) at once each year and the 5# stuffers are just way too undersized for doing 20 pounds of meat or more.  All stuffers seem to actually be 1-2 pounds short of their listed stuffing limit.  This is due to meat squishing out of the top and such as you start the plunger.  It is good went with a larger sized stuffer, you will likely get 13 pounds of meat out of each load on yours.

If you start getting into 40-100 pounds of grinding I think you may want to move to a stuffer that can do 20 pounds at a time (10L which is 22-23 pounds so you lose the 1-2 pound capacity to get right at 20 pounds).

You can get LEM natural hog castings at Academy most of the time.  You can also order them on line and I have had good luck with them.

I've had great luck with almost all of LEM's seasonings but feel free to shop around and/or do your own seasonings.  I can say LEM's franks and fresh brats make the best of both sausages I have found anywhere.  I am planning to get away from them though as I think they have some ingredients I'm not fond of and would rather move to better/healthier options a homemade seasoning can provide.

There is a really good post here on how to make working with your casings super easy.  I have yet to try it but I believe it will work well according to other's input.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/159729/how-to-handle-natural-casings

Oh one last nugget of info.  If you buy trimmed pork back fat or have your butcher sell you fat trimmings you can easily do 80% meat 20% fat ratios for perfect sausage EVERY time.  No buying pork shoulder/butt or brisket to "add fat" for sausage like a meat processor usually does.  I think that part of their business is a racket.  

You can always be accurate, produce consistent and perfect sausage every time with this approach and no guess work!  Plus the math is simple, 8 pounds of meat, 2 pounds of fat for 10 pounds of sausage.  4 pounds of meat 1 pound of fat for 5 pounds of sausage.  Super simple math.

I hope this info helps :)

I have the Hakka 10 pound stuffer and it has been working flawlessly for hundreds of pounds of sausage, you won't be disappointed.

Their customer service is excellent also, mine arrived with some shipping damage and they sent me a new base overnight. Thumbs Up

TallBM:

What lean meat cut are you using for your sausage? I don't have access to any venison until next season but may get a few wild pigs if my friend does his job killing animals. I'll stop by a local butcher shop this week to see if they'll sell fat trimmings for a reasonable price.

The stuffer EDD is tomorrow along with some seasoning packets from Owens BBQ. I ordered their Sweet Italian Sausage and Ground and Formed Bacon packs for 25# of meat. Their instructions say to use 50/50 venison or beef and pork. They also list a couple of different ratios but a during a phone call with them they advised against all pork.

We may grind up some meat for dog food first just to get the hang of things.

The grinder was delivered by UPS. The package looked beat up but the inside packaging seemed OK. That 1.5 HP grinder is a beast! I need to get a table on wheels and leave it there so I can roll it around the kitchen when needed. Lifting it each time would definitely be a strain on the back. I was thinking of getting a small stainless bottom tool chest because it has several drawers to store attachments and things. I don't know if the Boss Lady will go for that though.

Follow-up on Hakka stuffer. I bought this Stuffer, thinking that I could reload without removing the canister. Unfortunately, when you lowered the canister, it would just fall off. I don't know if similar makes are the same.

So I made an attachment that solved that problem------hope you can see it in the following pics-----now meets my expectations and more.

Hope this may help someone.

Blaise

TallBM:

What lean meat cut are you using for your sausage? I don't have access to any venison until next season but may get a few wild pigs if my friend does his job killing animals. I'll stop by a local butcher shop this week to see if they'll sell fat trimmings for a reasonable price.

The stuffer EDD is tomorrow along with some seasoning packets from Owens BBQ. I ordered their Sweet Italian Sausage and Ground and Formed Bacon packs for 25# of meat. Their instructions say to use 50/50 venison or beef and pork. They also list a couple of different ratios but a during a phone call with them they advised against all pork.

We may grind up some meat for dog food first just to get the hang of things.

The grinder was delivered by UPS. The package looked beat up but the inside packaging seemed OK. That 1.5 HP grinder is a beast! I need to get a table on wheels and leave it there so I can roll it around the kitchen when needed. Lifting it each time would definitely be a strain on the back. I was thinking of getting a small stainless bottom tool chest because it has several drawers to store attachments and things. I don't know if the Boss Lady will go for that though.
Fair warning, I don't think I'm capable of a short post lol :D

The good thing about deer and feral hogs is that they are generally very lean.  You may get a feral sow now and then with a good amount of fat and you can use it but most of the time they don't have any usable fat and when you process the animals and you follow good meat processing practices you will end up removing any of the little useless fat on the animals.  Plus humans don't really like the taste of venison fat if there is any.  We are mostly beef and pork fat lovers.

After I thoroughly clean my animals while processing (clean meaning removing all non edible, non desirable tissue and bone) I have very very good meat for sausage and grind.

Here is a HUGE nugget of information I learned when it comes to processing and it is one of the major reasons I have such good quality meat and have never ever had gamey meat of any kind.

If you have something on the meat or animal you would NOT throw into a skillet and immediately eat then it should NOT go into your sausage or pure grind!!!!

Follow that rule and you will clean off hand fulls of thin translucent skin on the outside of muscles, sliver skin, tendon, piddly bits of useless fat, cartilage, and blood shot tissue.

So what do you do with cuts like the shanks, necks, and other pieces with excess undesirable tissue?  You don't grind them.  You use those for long low temp cooks like braised dishes or long smokes at like 225F+ so all of that undesirable tissue breaks down and imparts great flavor for that kind of cook.  You will NOT get great flavor out of that tissue in a sausage or quick fry up where the undesirable tissue doesn't break down at all

For sausage I grind the following:
  • all of the scrap meat which comes as I debone front legs, back legs, loins, backstrap, and any big pieces from portions like the neck if I kept the necks.  I generally don't keep venison ribs, flanks, or necks because TX does and spikes don't have much meat in those areas and I find myself lucky when i get over 90 pound does and spikes.  I meat hunt.  Hogs don't really have much of a neck and I head/neck shoot them.  I always try to keep the hog ribs if I can!
  • I use front legs strictly for sausage grind because
  • The smaller, uglier, roasts from the back leg (top round, bottom round, chuck, etc.)
  • With hogs I never have enough deboned pork from the pig to be picky and almost all deboned cuts gets ground for sausage (not including the shanks, flanks, and ribs).  If I any left over weight I try to keep backstrap or the plumpest back leg roast for cooking other pork dishes :(  When you need need 24-32 pounds of pork for sausage the whole animal will basically get ground.
My pure grind:
  • I use all but the best roasts from the back leg (top round, bottom round, chuck, etc.) to hit my pure grind numbers.  If I am keeping 15 pounds of roasts then I pull the best 15 pounds and the rest of the roasts go for pure grind and/or sausage grind.
  • Don't gasp... I use venison backstrap and tenderloin
    eek.gif
    .  I don't fry much food and it is by far the best way I have eaten backstrap and tenderloin so one year I decided to speed up my processing time and just grind all of my cleaned backstrap and tenderloins.  It turned out AMAZING!!!  I will never hesitate to grind those pieces again.
Parts Not to Grind:

The following cuts of the animal are not worth the time cleaning for grind because they are riddled with undesirable tissue and by the time you clean it all you have spent 45 minutes to get enough meat to fit in the palm of 1 hand.  These cuts have way better uses or can be discarded to the pets, buzzards, etc.
  • Shanks plus the Heal - WAY too much silver skin, tendon, and other junk that makes them bad for grinding.  If you would not or could not eat this after throwing in a skillet then it is not for grind.  HOWEVER this is probably the BEST cut of the animal that people have no clue about and is possibly my favorite!  Do a quick clean up of these guys and then braise or slow cook these guys for about 3.5-4 hours at 325F in the oven and you have out of this world food! This applies for both Venison and Hog shanks.
  • Flanks - there is hardly any meat on these guys.  For hogs you might be able to do bacon from them.  For Venison you toss these or chop for dog food.  Attempt to pull the meat out of one and you will see they are pointless to full with on wild animals.
  • Necks - Much like the shank the neck is riddled with connective tissue and will fool you into thinking it is full of meat you can use for grind.  If your deer is big enough (140 pounders or so) you can cut as one entire piece around the entire neck and you will have a flappy neck roast cut.  You can slow cook or braise style cook the neck for pulled bbq venison or something like that.  Smaller venison necks are dog food scrap or not worth fooling with.  I only have so much cooler space so venison necks take up too much space for such little return and do not make the trip back home.  Hog necks... what neck lol. 
When you process deer or wild hogs you will have to make sacrifices based on how much sausage and/or pure grind you want.  Meat processors kind of condition you to think it is the other way around, often by allowing you to pick all the cuts in the world and then saying what is left over will be grind.  Guess what, they often are adding pork butts or brisket to your sausages for "fat" which really turns into a 100 pound deer producing 200 pounds of meat :P

I have found the best approach to simply be:
  1. Debone and clean all front leg meat, back leg meat, backstrap, and tenderloins
  2. Weight the meat to figure out how much you have
  3. Determine how much sausage grind and how much pure grind you want to have
  4. Whatever is left over, if anything is, will be your steaks and roasts
    1. Do not count necks, ribs, shanks (keep the heal on the shank), and flanks as part of your overall weight as they are not desirable for grind and/or not worth the hours you will spend to separate the little bit of meat from the rest of the tissue
  5. Grind your sausage grind and keep separate
  6. Grind your pure grind and keep separate
  7. Make sausage from sausage grind
  8. Bag your pure grind
  9. Realize this has taken about 3-4 days to do and then take a couple of days off from meat processing
  10. Enjoy the food :)
I have found some amazing videos of a REAL butcher breaking down a deer into all of the meat cuts.  Its about a 5 part series and ABSOLUTELY beats the crap out every other "processing" video you will likely find on youtube (there is a lot of poor meat processing video out there).

Let me know if you are interested and I'll make a post about it for you and everyone else to see how to properly break down a deer.  It is about 95% the same for feral hogs so the info is invaluable for us meat processing hunters :)

I hope this manifest of info helps :)

Let me know if you are interested and I'll make a post about it for you and everyone else to see how to properly break down a deer.  It is about 95% the same for feral hogs so the info is invaluable for us meat processing hunters  :)

I'm interested! Post away.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll make a post about it for you and everyone else to see how to properly break down a deer.  It is about 95% the same for feral hogs so the info is invaluable for us meat processing hunters  :)

I'm interested! Post away.
Well after a little delay I have finally made the post you were looking for.  Find the deer butchering and processing post with links to videos here!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/259578/great-venison-butchering-and-processing-videos-and-info

I am 100% sure it will help you out and show you plenty of things to do properly for the best cuts of meat you can pull out of your deer and the same would basically apply to wild/feral hogs as well.  Enjoy!!! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky