Question on Venison cure....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dinner. Deer brats are made with a.c. leggs brat seasoning with pepper jack hi temp cheese pan fried until brown and simmered in a cup of apple juice for 12 minutes to IT 170.

Great Pic!
More proof that what you see after it's cooked was easy to see before it was cooked.
Thanks for showing these pics!!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: chopsaw
Your welcome Bear.

Next time I will slice thin for sandwich meat. The other half of this is going in freezer for another supper.
Hopefully I will kill a couple does in either Missouri doe season or muzzleloader season so I can try this again!

Reactions: Bearcarver
Looks like a great meal . Did you make the Brats ? You were darn close on the cure time . Another couple days .
Thanks for the pics .

Your welcome Bear.

Next time I will slice thin for sandwich meat. The other half of this is going in freezer for another supper.
Hopefully I will kill a couple does in either Missouri doe season or muzzleloader season so I can try this again!

That's Great !!
I don't know if you read about my lifetime love for Dried Beef & American Cheese with Miracle Whip, or Mayo, on White Bread. That was my 2 Sandwiches a day in my Lunchbox favorite, from about 15 years old until retirement. I got at least one Hind Quarter per Deer processed into "Venison Dried Beef", until I learned to do my own, right here on this Forum more than 9 years ago. I was taught by some of The Great ones, right here, and I've been giving back ever since. I like to think They'd be proud.
Enjoy those Sammies with the next Deer!!

Bear

Reactions: Mofatguy
Interested in the brats . Did you add pork ? What seasoning did you use ?
70/30 deer and beef fat trimmings
A.C. Leggs brat seasoning
Pepper Jack hi temp cheese
32mm hog casings

We've tried grilling but honestly it dries them out quite a bit. Lately we started pan frying with a little oil to brown, then simmer in a cup of water or apple juice for 12 minutes. IT usually reads 175-185 but they are oozing when moisture when you stick a probe in to check temp.
Very tasty!

Reactions: chopsaw
Nice . I like the beef fat add . I have the AC Leggs brat seasoning . It's a good one . I've never done fresh sausage with venison . I use regular pepper jack cheese in mine ( pork ) . I use high temp for SS .
I used to do like you said , brown then simmer / steam .
Kids bought me a cast iron grill pan last year ,,, that thing makes the best sausage .
mark them up in the grill pan , then finish in the oven .
My plan was to do some from venison this year , but I got to selective and let a nice 8 pass , then didn't make second weekend .
Thanks for the info .

Reactions: Mofatguy
I had some footballs that did not cure all the way in they they has a light spot after being cooked. They still eat fine, just don't taste the same.

Deer Ham_8 (Large).JPG

I had some footballs that did not cure all the way in they they has a light spot after being cooked. They still eat fine, just don't taste the same.

View attachment 413117

Nice Slices of Footballs, Rob!!
Looks Mighty Tasty from here!!
Hmmm, Funny how two guys were giving me a hard time, because I said it's easy to tell how far the cure got in by looking at the color.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky