Question about Competition ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All this discussion is great but begs another question. We all know that for fall off the bone you use the 3-2-1 or something similar. When you all speak of the slight tug do you foil at all?

I never foiled up to about 2 months ago and always had that "tug". The ribs too were just as good. I am leaning toward thinking fall off is overcooked a bit for me. Is there some happy medium that is being kept a secret?
eek.gif

Ive been using a tip some competition guys gave me a few months ago. I smoke the ribs until they just pass the tongs bend test, then I tent them in foil with honey, some rub, and some apple juice for 20 mins for BB's,. and 45 mins for spares.

I ahve been very happy with this method to get me where I want to be texture wise.

Some interesting opinions and methods ... some things here I will probably try.... my main point tho wasnt that opinions vary based on what a person likes but that the comp cooks were saying the people didnt know what a rib was supposed to taste like and I didnt really agree that because the KCBS sets the standards for competitions that their way was the only and right way a rack of ribs should be cooked. I like em both ways and as a matter a fact im gunna go prep some right now !! one fall off the bone and one with a tug then im gunna slap ya mama
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I talked to several of the winners in a comp. The fellow that took first in 2 categories and the guy that took first in the best overall comp both told me that you should keep records of every judge that rated your stuff. Some judges like a little sweetness and some like none at all . Some like fall off the bone and some go for a little more texture. Learn how to do your ribs both ways and adjust depending who is going to be judging. The chef that matches closest to what any particular judge likes is going to come out on top.

Anytime the majority like anything done a certain way that makes it the right way. However if you like it done exactly the opposite way that doesn't make you wrong either.

Esquimos in my opinion like it too underdone. That doesn't make it wrong.

Good point, Div. It does seem rather arrogant and pompous on their part to say basically that since 90% of the people don't cook for KCBS judges, they don't know how a rib is supposed to taste. Maybe what they should have said was that 90% of the people don't know what a competition rib should taste like.

I also follow another BBQ forum where there are LOTS of comp cooks and I don't think many, if any, of them would think any less of a backyard BBQ enthusiast cooking ribs to "fall of the bone tender" if that's what they like. Me, I don't really like them that way, I prefer a "bit of tug" but I don't fault a guy for wanting them to fall off the bone nor would I say that he doesn't know what a rib should taste like.

Dave

I pick the slabs up with tongs about the 3rd rib bne in, and check to see how the rib bends. If the meats starts to crack, etc, it is done.

Fondle with your meat until it feels right.
biggrin.gif

Since no two pigs are the same and no two racks of ribs are the same, you need to develop a keen eye and feel for properly cooked meat (same goes for steaks and chicken).

Exactly. I don't have a problem with them setting the parameters for their competition. But if they think that gives them some higher authority to define what "real" barbecue is then they can go fly a kite.

If everyone is finished eating my ribs and i look around and see smiles ,full bellies,piles of bones and folks are asking how and when am i doing some more, Then them's some good ribs.
Don't care what some judge says.
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky