Question about brown or white sugar in a bacon cure.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

forktender

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 10, 2008
NORCAL
Which do you prefer and why?
I used a cup of each in my last batch and it was really good. But I have a hard time leaving rescipes alone.
I was just wondering how all brown sugar or all white sugar would be. Let me know your thoughts please.

Thanks.
Dan

I prefer the white sugar.
Years ago I cured a belly and used molasses. I did not care for the flavor really at all, wasn’t a huge thing just something in the taste wasn’t agreeable. That was strange because straight molasses is about all I like on pancakes. If I use brown sugar in cure I can usually still faintly taste the molasses. Truth is in trying to make maple flavor bacon I discovered maple sugar and now really like it to cure with. It does not give a maple flavor but the sweet is mild or should I say gram to gram it’s not as sweet as white sugar. It gives a well rounded flavor that balances well with the salt.

Reactions: forktender
I've been using a cup of each (Pop's brine) since I started making bacon. Used his lower salt brine the last couple of times and it's good.
I've wondered about using one or the other or cutting back on the sugar but I've been afraid to experiment with a $40+ piece of meat.
I use Maple extract or flavoring in the brine.
I'm curious as well.

Sugar in cures is an old fashioned classic technique and I can see some guys into it but not me. I don't use any sugar in my bacon or hams. I've done it a bunch of times and it works fine. Some think sugar is needed for the cure or some other reason but it's not. IMO I seriously doubt this type of stuff is made any different and flavoring and sugar is just applied afterwards.

Sugar in cures is an old fashioned classic technique and I can see some guys into it but not me. I don't use any sugar in my bacon or hams. I've done it a bunch of times and it works fine. Some think sugar is needed for the cure or some other reason but it's not. IMO I seriously doubt this type of stuff is made any different and flavoring and sugar is just applied afterwards.
I always wondered about that. I just vac-sealed about 9# so it will be a while before we need more but I may cut the sugar in half next time....

Most of my curing is by the dry method, so for belly bacon I like using white sugar. I'm only using sugar to knock the edge off of the salt so white sugar accomplishes that, and when I bloom the slabs I like the color better than when I used brown sugar. That said, one friend likes a really sweet bacon, so when I make some to gift to him and his wife I go with dark brown sugar.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky