Question about Brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

akern

Original poster
Mar 30, 2012
Gulf coast of florida
I have read alot of posts about putting pork in brine and i have a question. I have a hog leg i am going to smoke. I have a nice pork rub that i use and was wondering if i do the cup of salt to a gallon of water method can i just pour my rub into the brine for flavor?

ABSOLUTELY!!! I do that frequently. It is also a great way to add Layers of flavor...Brine with one type of rub you like then Rub the meat with a different flavor or style of rub before smoking...JJ

What's your flavor profile going to be? Depending on that, here are some recommendations based on what I put in m brine:

Tuscan (or, savory) brine- 

chicken stock

onions

garlic

lemon zest that I've lightly beaten to release essential oils

lemon juice

Worcestershire

salt

a little sugar

fresh herbs (typically for this one, oregano, parsley and basil)

fresh cracked peppercorns

crushed red pepper flakes

the above brine has been instrumental in capturing first place in my recent comps (several other steps as well in the process)

Sweet brine or BBQ brine (sweetness adjusted for desired taste)

salt

brown sugar

Rub

buttermilk (or, apple cider/juice if making sweet, like with pork. I use buttermilk with chicken)

hot sauce (like a cayenne pepper sauce, i.e. Texas Pete or Red Devil)

Worcestershire

garlic

onion

There are other ingredients that could be added, but perhaps some of these may get the creative juices flowing? 

Hope that helps...

I will have to try those they sound great. For flavor i just used my basic pork rub,

Paprika

Salt

Black Pepper

Brown Sugar

Onion powder

Garlic Powder

Cayenne Pepper
Some Cumin and Chili Powder

That Tuscan sounds like it would work on my turkey breast i will be smokin for Thanksgiving next week. I
 will have to give it a try

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky