Pulled pork on a random Tuesday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cornman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 30, 2016
South central PA
My wife and I are both teachers and we had some of our friends from work over Tuesday and their little ones could swim. I did a picnic ham (shoulder) for the meal. Started at 8am Monday morning after firing up the WSM after picking corn at the folks’. Used a generous mix of hickory and apple. Despite the overcast and rain we’ve had here in the Mid Atlantic, my IT hummed up to 170 by mid-afternoon.

As Monday afternoon turned to Monday evening, I seemed to hit a stall in the 170’s, which I thought was high for a stall, but I rode through this one without wrapping. I periodically added charcoal and water to the pan.
I slept down on the couch with my Tp20 by my side. At 3am Tuesday morning, the pork reached 195 and I took it off to pull.

597A12E1-7D15-4A2E-8B35-6A7D9D9E7677.jpeg

Sorry this is the only shot as it was early and I was exhausted, but it pulled great...the bone slid right out as I touched it. It is the skin side up.

Later on Tuesday, the pork got rave reviews. A couple of the kids even were chowing down on pork and they only seemed interested in snacks at first. My wife said it was better than July 4’s. I’m really starting to feel confident in long runs now (maintaining temperatures, refilling charcoal with minimal interruption, etc.). Thanks to EVERYONE for pointers, advice, and support over the time I’ve been a part of this site....you’re the reason I’ve been enjoying this hobby!

Awesome,succulent looking picnic cornman!It is often overlooked for PP because of the lesser yield...but the flavor is great!

That looks really good, Glad all your guests enjoyed it.

Point for sure.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky