(Prospective) Newbie Pellet question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RetiredInFl

Original poster
Hi everyone, glad to have found this forum. :)

I live in a LARGE retirement community in central FL. Homes are on relatively small lots. Nearest area that might affect my neighbors peace and relaxation is about 125 feet away which is an opened lanai (Florida talk for screened patio - I'm learning!). My main concern before I venture into a pellet grill is bothering my neighbors and generating complaints. Currently I am using a Weber LPG on my patio and would love to make the switch to a PG.

(Finally) Getting to the point :) is HOW MUCH SMOKE (exhaust) do these generate when first firing up and when cooking? Is it like generating smoke signals? When we lived up north (NJ) I used a charcoal grill. I HATE the gas grill, might as well cook on the stove (or on the concrete because it gets so hot around here).

Thanks!

Tell us more about your grilling area. IE size of patio, how close neighbors are, etc. A picture would be good.

I have a GMG Davy Crockett pellet grill, it definitely has smoke when starting. After getting to temp, visible smoke is non-exsistent Smoke smell is still there though, about like a very efficient wood stove.

Thanks! Don't care about smell just the smoke. :) Some people in these places just like to complain about everything. There are no deed restrictions for it but still don't want to be a "problem neighbor" :) Will take a couple pics later.

Ed

In my case, I have 15 min of smoke on start up until it hits about 200 deg. then it is a light smoke until 250-275. Smoked grilled turkey breast on the Davy Crockett cooked at 250-275 is really tasty. Not an overpowering smoke but light pleasant smoke.

Tell us more about your grilling area. IE size of patio, how close neighbors are, etc. A picture would be good.

I have a GMG Davy Crockett pellet grill, it definitely has smoke when starting. After getting to temp, visible smoke is non-exsistent Smoke smell is still there though, about like a very efficient wood stove.

See attached. The home directly next to us has no windows on the side facing my patio.

Edit: It's probably more like 100-110 feet and not 80 as I marked the photo.

Attachments

• 2018-08-22 15.07.35.jpg
    2018-08-22 15.07.35.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 41
While there is some smoke on startup and throughout the cook, it's not like a bonfire or even a stick burner. Additionally, the smoke seems to dissipate fairly quickly. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I took mine camping last month and couldn't smell it more than one campsite away. So I agree with oldsmokerdude and wouldn't worry about it too much.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Florida but the little I have I don't ever remember my ex in laws having windows open in the house. I was always there in the winter and the ac was always going. How often are the neighbors windows open? I can't see them complaining to much if the house is closed up.

I haven't spent a lot of time in Florida but the little I have I don't ever remember my ex in laws having windows open in the house. I was always there in the winter and the ac was always going. How often are the neighbors windows open? I can't see them complaining to much if the house is closed up.

You are correct regarding windows, however my concern wasn't windows but a lot of time here in the northern part of Central FL especially in Fall, Winter (where temps can sometimes get close to freezing at night) & Spring is that a lot of time is spent outside in the screened porches (lanais). That was my concern. If you look in the photo I posted you'll see what I was referring to.

Judging by your picture I wouldn't worry about it either. There are always going to be busy bodies that have to complain about something. The smoke from a pellet pooper should easily dissipate long before it reaches the neighbors.

Chris

I can take a video and post a link to it for how much smoke mine makes on the extreme smoke setting. It's not that bad. i live in a townhouse and have it on my deck.

I'll try and take a video of the whole thing. I mean there's smoke but it's not like people are choking on it or it's so dense you think the house is on fire.

Hey. I got home after dark so I couldn't shoot the video for you tonight. I'll do it tomorrow and post a YouTube link. Didn't want you to think I forgot about you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky