Project Pepperoni!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
This one was a long time a coming....I've been researching for years on how to make salami. Thank you to all on SMF that have answered my questions and helped me out with suggestions. The recommendation to get the Marianski books was some of the best advice I received.

I say that this was a 'project' because well, it was. I went through 3 refrigerators/freezers (freebies thought) before I found one that would work. Then I had to set it up. Once that was done and I ran it a while to learn how it responds, I ordered all the stuff to make salamis. It finally all arrived friday afternoon, but with the stores being hit pretty hard from people stocking up because of Covid-19 virus, I was out of luck finding any pork butts Friday. Feeling totally discouraged, I decided to take a venison roast out of the freezer and make a bresaola.

A stoke of luck changed my plans once again when I scored a twin pack of Boston Butts Saturday morning that the store had pulled out of the back and put out in the freezer case. On sale for $0.99/lb too!

So here I go after working up my confidence and wrapping my head around the ins and outs of salami making....

Mixed up the Mold 600 the night before so it would be ready to go the next day. Then I flushed the casings and put them to soak in distilled water with a little vinegar. Also mixed up the spices, salt, and cure #2 the night before. I'm doing 5 Kg. Of pepperoni.

1584306147642.jpeg

1584306148331.jpeg

After cleaning everything very well and sanitizing, I broke down the pork and removed all veins, intramuscular fat, and tough connective tissue then weighed out what I needed. Put in freezer to chill along with the grinder head to chill below 35*. Then it was go time. I measured out the Flavor of Italy starter culture in 1/4 cup of water. I had to redo this step because I used tap water not thinking...though I am very familiar with making smoke sausages, I had to stay on top of things to make sure I did not screw up a step working with the live cultures. And I was a clean freak the entire time....

1584306148813.jpeg

Used the 4.5mm plate for both the fat and lean meat. After the grind it was time to mix in the spices, salt, cure #2, and the started culture.. I mixed by hand very, very thoroughly.
1584306173179.jpeg

Up close...
1584306173745.jpeg

It smelled out of this world awesome! I like the hint of wine....

Next it was stuffing the beef middles. These were pre cut and tied, not what I usually use for andouille, but it was all they could get. The first two links were slightly under stuffed, but the last 4 were perfectly stuffed, just enough to stretch the casing a little and push some liquid through it. The sausages are about 18-20" long and 2~2 1/2" diameter. They should shrink to a nice size once they dry.
1584306174348.jpeg

I wanted to show you guys this... it's my italian casing pricker. I picked up that idea from one of the youtube videos I watched of Italian butchers making salamis. It worked great! Just some heavy duty needles pushed into a wine cork with needle nose pliers.

1584306174840.jpeg

Once stuffed, time to truss the salamis. This took some time to do, about 15-20 minutes per salami, but those knot classes in boy scouts along with watching an Italian do it on youtube, and I got the hang of it pretty good. They are not perfect, but I like the rustic look. The beef middles had some curves to them after stuffing. I was able to straighten them out with the trussing for the most part. The last two came out straighter than the first 4 after I got a feel for the tying. After tying, it was time to weigh the salamis and make tags, then brush with mold 600. Once that was complete, I hung the sausages in my fermentation trash can so the meat could continue warming to room temp. internally. Then I cleaned up the kitchen.

1584306196952.jpeg

And after cleaning, I moved them....here they are hanging in the chamber to ferment @75* and 90% humidity...
1584306198065.jpeg

I am using my drying chamber as a fermentation chamber to help inoculate the inside of the chamber with mold 600 along with the salamis. Should get a pH drop below 5.3 in 24-30 hours. I'm really looking forward to sampling these!!! But I gotta wait!

I used Marianski's Pepperoni recipe but I tweaked it to my liking. I used the flavor of Italy culture so I bumped the dextrose up to 0.4%. I reduced the anise to 0.025% (yes, 5 grams in 5kg of meat), And I bumped the cayenne from 0.2% to 0.3%. I also added 1/4 cup of dry red Italian table wine.

Wow man, you're gettin' busy now that the fridge/chamber is sorted.
Looking forward to seeing the final products.Looking good!
tent2.gif

Sure looks good so far! I'll be following along for sure!
Thanks Sowsage! Hop in for the ride, just wear a facemask!!!LOL!!
pulling up a chair. looking good
Thanks smokerjim.
Wow man, you're gettin' busy now that the fridge/chamber is sorted.
Looking forward to seeing the final products.Looking good!
Thanks motocrash! I'm still lookin for a bigger True double door because I can tell ya that this one just won't be big enough! LOL!
Looking Good

Gary
Thaks Gary!

Now I know why all those Italians use that little hand tool to wrap the butchers twine around. Makes cinching the loops down easier. I was fighting it having to leave too much slack to push the ball of twine through. I need to get me one....

To be honest, the trussing of the salamis- though tedious- was very relaxing. It was a welcome distraction to just focus on tying up salamis in light of everything going on right now with the virus....

Reactions: 73saint
Btw, those knots look pretty straight to me. The knot itself isn’t hard, but keeping that line straight that’s another thing. Nicely done.

Reactions: indaswamp
Yes, the way he showed that was slick. Both look good. The video is clean and fast, practical. Your way is more craftsmanship. I like that very much.

Looking good on the controllers.
1584309432402.jpeg

I had thought the humidity spike would be more pronounced, but so far so good. I added a small fan to circulate some air since the heater and humidifier are not cycling very often. I used the extra pig tail plug that I foamed in place through the freezer wall for power. I knew there was a reason I ran an extra!

Watching. I net mine. Thats very easy. Maybe I am lazy?

Thanks pc farmer.
I won't fault anybody for calling me a traditionalist. It was good therapy though.

Dont get me wrong,, I have trussed. I am not good at it and netting is easy. Make me change my mind. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: 73saint
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky