PRIME RIB (New Best Ever!!!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Smaller Fire, Less wood or smaller pieces then you can get a lower temp I have a RF and can take it from 100º Up in 10º increments    Try It

Gary

My only concern is that, since I smoke with a wood fire, my smoker tends to burn a little hotter.  Say around 275-300.  I know that I did read your comment about your Prime Rib not needing Au Jus, and I'm sure that it doesn't.  I guess that I want to do it just for aesthetics for the wife because she loves Au Jus.
See Below, what Gary does:

If you can't keep the smoker below 250°, you can't get it to that Nice Pink from Bark to Bark.

At 275°-300°, if you take it to below 140°IT, it will be Pink in the center, but gray on the outer couple inches & on both ends.

Bear
Big 1,

I have no idea how to use any kind of Smoker, other than my easy Electric MES, but "Gary S" is my Goto guy on Stick Burners. 

See Below. 

Smaller Fire, Less wood or smaller pieces then you can get a lower temp I have a RF and can take it from 100º Up in 10º increments    Try It

Gary
Thanks Gary!!

I hate to see people having to smoke Prime Ribs at Temps above 240°. It's just not the same.

You Da Man!!

Bear

See Below, what Gary does:

Big 1,

I have no idea how to use any kind of Smoker, other than my easy Electric MES, but "Gary S" is my Goto guy on Stick Burners. 

See Below. 

Thanks Gary!!

I hate to see people having to smoke Prime Ribs at Temps above 240°. It's just not the same.

You Da Man!!

Bear
Thanks fellas, I truly appreciate it.  I will give it a try.  I cannot burn full sticks in my smoker, they don't burn so well and go out.  I actually have to cut my wood into 6" to 8" pieces to burn.  This gives me about 15-20 minutes time before I have to go back out and put another one on the fire.  And the fire itself isn't really big, but it burns hot.  I leave both drafts wide open and even leave the firebox door open a bit.  If not, the fire usually smolders as if it's choking itself out.  Now of course this all happens in warmer weather when it's not very windy.

Perhaps in this colder weather such as Bear and I have up here in PA, it'll be a lot easier to keep the heat down.  I'm definitely going to give it a try but at the same time I don't want to have to sit right next to it and babysit it in this weather.  I have two of the same cheapo digital wireless thermometers but when I have them both on, they're on the same frequency and only read one temp.  So I can't go that route either.  So I just stick one in the meat and watch my temp on my good grill thermometers on the grates.  Something "Ridge" thermometers.

I smoked one yesterday  here it is  and I'm smoking another one today

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/255977/pre-christmas-prime-rib

Gary
Thanks Gary, it looked really good.  It's amazing how you can have a nice fire like that going and get your temps down so low.  Can you tell me how you do so with the dampers?

Like I said, I leave mine open and burn little pieces of splits and it seems as if I don't burn it hot, the fire wants to go out.

Thanks Gary, it looked really good.  It's amazing how you can have a nice fire like that going and get your temps down so low.  Can you tell me how you do so with the dampers?

Like I said, I leave mine open and burn little pieces of splits and it seems as if I don't burn it hot, the fire wants to go out.
Sure, No Problem   First Check your Temp gauge to make sure you are getting an accurate reading.

Then a small fire  Chimney Damper WIDE OPEN, then play with the Lower and upper dampers on your FB door.

Once I'm up to desired temp I watch the gauge if it is still climbing I cut my dampers back to about 50%, Keep an eye on your gauge if it starts falling open up the dampers a little. The advice I give all the Time is "Get To Know Your Smoker"  I cook so much on mine it's just second nature.  The Prime Rib I have on now I started at 12:00 noon  temp was 225º and climbing a little I cut it back to about 1/3 open on the bottom  damper and about 50 % on the top one I'm looking at it now a steady 225º.

Hope this helps

Gary

Reactions: thebig1
Thanks Gary, I appreciate it.  I think that where my smoker is lacking is that I only have one damper on my FB door which is down low.  There is a hole near the top of my door that is about 1", but I can't adjust it like I can the bottom.  Which is probably why when I shut the bottom damper it tends to smolder and choke itself out.  I'll play with it more and learn more about it.  Even if I have to babysit the smoker, it's only for between 4-6 hours which isn't that bad.

Either way, I'm going to make you and Bear proud!
grilling_smilie.gif

Chad

Thanks Gary, I appreciate it.  I think that where my smoker is lacking is that I only have one damper on my FB door which is down low.  There is a hole near the top of my door that is about 1", but I can't adjust it like I can the bottom.  Which is probably why when I shut the bottom damper it tends to smolder and choke itself out.  I'll play with it more and learn more about it.  Even if I have to babysit the smoker, it's only for between 4-6 hours which isn't that bad.

Either way, I'm going to make you and Bear proud!
grilling_smilie.gif

Chad
I'm already Proud of you guys!

A little time with Gary, and you'll have it figured out.

If it wasn't for Gary, I wouldn't even know a Prime Rib like mine can be done in a Stick Burner. Gary makes it look easy!

200° to 220° are both so easy in an MES, even for an Old Guy!

Bear

Reactions: thebig1
Bear, If I follow your guide, can I expect the same 5 - 6 hour done time regardless of the size of my roast? I am going to try to smoke two 10 pounders..

Not Bear but as long as you maintain a constant temp with adequate air flow  No Problem at all

Gary

Bear, If I follow your guide, can I expect the same 5 - 6 hour done time regardless of the size of my roast? I am going to try to smoke two 10 pounders..
Yes---Thickness matters most:

A 5 pound Prime Rib will take about the same amount of time as a 10 or 12 pounder, as long as they are both the same thickness.

Smoking two 10 pounders, while using the same Smoker Temp would only take a little longer than my 5 or 6 pounders take, because of the initial shock of getting 20 pounds of cold meat put in the smoker.

Hope that helps,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky