Prime Brisket on the SmokeFire .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chopsaw

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 14, 2013
OFallon Mo.
Wanted something to throw on the smoker this weekend . Wasn't looking for brisket . Actually wanted some spare ribs . Went to Gordon's food service and was informed they no longer carry fresh spare ribs . Only frozen . The pack date on those was 11/23 , sell by 11/24 . I'll pass .
So I just got some sausage seasonings from a generous member of this forum , so I was also after a couple pork butts . Only boneless at $2.10 a pound . Passed on that too .
So I looked at the briskets . $4.25 a pound . Not really into that price either , but I noticed the packaging was different . Rolled it over ,, USDA Prime .
Never had a prime brisket , so what the heck . I grabbed one .

I've been cross cutting them in the middle , and smoking the point end . I save the flat for taco meat or roast beef at a later date .

Didn't take any early pics , but I clean them up real good . No dark areas , and nothing but clean white fat .
No , I don't save the fat trimmings . No use for it .
20240511_112513.jpg
I also take care in the trimming . I like to " round off " the corners and edges .
I use the knife as a scraper too . I mean I'm just shy of sand paper finish .
20240511_112722.jpg
Nice clean edges that flow into each other .
20240511_112749.jpg
I seasoned it up with Canadian steak seasoning . Wrap in plastic and
hold over night In a 36 degree fridge .
Next morning , I unwrap and sit on the counter for a couple hours to warm up .
You can see that the moisture has been drawn out of the meat , and reabsorbed .
20240512_064425.jpg
That Weber SmokeFire is a smokin' grillin' machine .
It really shines on a brisket .
I run it in smoke boost , then slowly bump the temps as needed .
Once I start I don't open the lid unless I need to do something with a therm .
I make these do what I want . Today it meant 300 to get it to temp .
This is off the smoker . IT was 204 .
20240512_170643.jpg
My go to for the hold is plastic wrap , then a towel .
Then into the oven . Oven was set to 170 , then turned off when the briket went in .
I'm not a cooler long hold guy . Not needed for how I do it .
Rest time on this was maybe 35 minutes .
20240512_170733.jpg
20240512_170747.jpg
Pulled out of the oven . You can see the plastic wrap is tight against the meat .
As it cools it draws moisture back in .
20240512_174800.jpg
I should have went into a cold oven . I like to slice around 170 .
20240512_174840.jpg
Waited as long as I could , but the rest was ready . Didn't want the mac to get pasty .
I got my paperwork for my second pension in Dec . 2022 . Finally signed up for it .
Got the first check with back pay , so I took 25 bucks and bought me a slicer .
This thing is awesome . I waited way to long to get one . Can't believe
how good it works .
20240512_175047.jpg
This things was like butter . When they're right they're so good .
20240512_175813.jpg
20240512_180722.jpg

My Son made mac & cheese . Had some corn and stove top beans .
This hit the spot . I won't do another for awhile . I only did this one because it was prime .
I normally buy them to grind , but this was great .
20240512_175808.jpg

Wanted something to throw on the smoker this weekend . Wasn't looking for brisket . Actually wanted some spare ribs . Went to Gordon's food service and was informed they no longer carry fresh spare ribs . Only frozen . The pack date on those was 11/23 , sell by 11/24 . I'll pass .
So I just got some sausage seasonings from a generous member of this forum , so I was also after a couple pork butts . Only boneless at $2.10 a pound . Passed on that too .
So I looked at the briskets . $4.25 a pound . Not really into that price either , but I noticed the packaging was different . Rolled it over ,, USDA Prime .

I've been cross cutting them in the middle , and smoking the point end . I save the flat for taco meat or roast beef at a later date .

Didn't take any early pics , but I clean them up real good . No dark areas , and nothing but clean white fat .
View attachment 696680
I also take care in the trimming . I like to " round off " the corners and edges .
View attachment 696681
View attachment 696682
View attachment 696683
View attachment 696684
Then into the oven . Oven was set to 170 , then turned off when the briket went in .
View attachment 696685
View attachment 696686
Pulled out of the oven . You can see the plastic wrap is tight against the meat .
View attachment 696687
View attachment 696688
Waited as long as I could , but the rest was ready . Didn't want the mac to get pasty .
I got my paperwork for my second pension in Dec . 2022 . Finally signed up for it .
how good it works .
View attachment 696689
View attachment 696691
View attachment 696692

This hit the spot . I won't do another for awhile . I only did this one because it was prime .
View attachment 696690
wow! this looks great! i cooked up some spares this weekend i had in the freezer and they turned out great! homemade mac n cheese is always a winner too. if this happens again, don't throw out the trim - i'd be happy to swing by and trade for things i've made recently -- beef jerky, summer sausage (soon to have snack sticks), pickled jalapenos or jam... i like to render brisket fat into tallow then use that in recipes in the place of vegetable oil.

View attachment 696680
View attachment 696681
View attachment 696682
View attachment 696683
View attachment 696684
View attachment 696685
View attachment 696686
View attachment 696687
View attachment 696688
how good it works .
View attachment 696689
View attachment 696691
View attachment 696692

View attachment 696690

It all looks Amazing!! I would gobble up a plate of that for sure!! Can I ask why the plastic wrap? I avoid plastic at all costs especially with heat for cooking. Not trying to be rude but just trying to understand the process. Would foil or butchers paper not work better? I know foil isn't perfect either I just have a personal aversion to plastic especially heated plastic.

Whole cow that looks killer.
When I first read that you bought a slicer for $25, I was thinking man that must be a P.O.S slicer, then I saw the knife in the picture. :emoji_laughing:

I made ribs for Ma today, I'd trade you a plate in a heart beat.

Brisket, done right, is my BBQ kryptonite, sometimes it turns out great and other times it goes into chili.

Looks great Rich! Nice work. Love Briskets, hoping to make one for Memorial Day. I used to make 3-4 a year, now 1 or 2 a year. I've got a 14 pounder in the deep freeze. Nice slicer too.

Great lookin meal, right there
Thanks .
Heck of a nice looking brisket rich!
Thanks Jake .
I have the same knife and it’s a game changer for a lot of things. Use it next time you slice ribs…
Will do . I've been looking at them . I really like the handle on this one .
looks great
Thanks bud .
cooked up some spares this weekend i had in the freezer and they turned out great!
I'm not worried about frozen if I'm the one that froze them . I'm worried about 7 months of freeze , thaw , freeze again .

Reactions: DieselTech
That's a fine looking plate Rich, I'd be all over that in a heartbeat! I haven't done a brisket since I got rid of my offset, too much work and meat, tho now I believe I need to get one of those blades for ribs. Nice work bud! RAY

looks delicious
Thanks .
Oh yeah!
Never thought about the plastic wrap during the rest. Game changer.
I started that a while back . Point ends are more forgiving , but the method works .
That hold with the plastic works too . This one went start to finish unwrapped . Just put the plastic and towel for the rest . Really needed to be cooled down some more , but it was really good .
Now that's a brisket. And those slicers are the bee's knee. Good lookin meal there!
Thanks Keith . One use of that knife , and I love it .

It all looks Amazing!! I would gobble up a plate of that for sure!!
Thank you . Appreciate that .
Can I ask why the plastic wrap? I avoid plastic at all costs especially with heat for cooking. Not trying to be rude but just trying to understand the process.
The plastic wrap seals in the moisture . The first time I saw it used was Myron Mixon doing a whole hog .
Fairly common practice with pro cooks . Wrapped with plastic , then foil keeps the plastic from melting .
Melting point by itself is around 200/225 . I normally just do it on the counter , then a towel over the top . I don't cook with it , but you could if you know the method .

Rude ?? Lol . No worries .
Would foil or butchers paper not work better?
I have butcher paper , and use it if using my kettle . I still put the plastic over the paper for a counter top rest . Keeps the towel from getting grease soaked , and holds the moisture in .

Last edited:
Whole cow that looks killer.
Lol . Thanks .
Brisket, done right, is my BBQ kryptonite, sometimes it turns out great and other times it goes into chili.
Me too . When it's right it's hard to beat . I've got a system going that works for me . I've had great results 5 times now back to back , and hit target time for supper 30 minutes ahead .

Looks great Rich! Nice work.
Thanks Mike . Appreciate that .
Looks outstanding Rich.
Thanks Norm . Good to see ya bud .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky