• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

"PRIME" Beef Back Ribs

SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

spudthegreater

Fire Starter
Aug 12, 2020
Wanted to do a Short Plate set of Ribs, but couldn't find them at the local shop, but they did have some vacuum packed frozen Angus Prime Grade back Ribs for 3.49 lb.
I did these Texas style, with salt, pepper, garlic powder. Wrapped them and put them in the fridge overnight.
I set my Pit Boss 820 to smoke, temp was below 180, usually around 160, p setting 2. I used a water pan for temp stability and moisture, used Lumberjack Char Hickory pellets. I also used a smoke tube and
for 3 hours I didn't touch it at all. When I opened it I spritzed it with a mix of Red Wine Vinegar and Cranberry juice with garlic clove chunks and a sprig of thyme in a bottle left overnight. I used that about every 45 mins to prevent drying, but it never really looked dry. I rotated the ribs at the 3 hour mark, then again at 5 hrs and then took them off at around 7, wrapped them up, left them in a cooler for over an hour and they were still too hot to pick up with bear hands.
For the smoke I actually turned up the temp at the 4 hr mark to 225 then to 250 at the 5 hr mark. I didn't want these over cooked seeing how most people do these at 275 to 300 which in my mind isn't smoking, its baking. Not my style. I'll pass. Also I didnt want sauce on these, wanted to taste the prime Angus Beef flavors. Came out at about 200 to 205 internal temp probing between the ribs.
Overall it was a good smoke. I'd rate this one an 8 out of 10. Bottom picture was at the 3 hr mark.
20200905_170546.jpg
20200905_182557.jpg
20200905_183142.jpg
20200905_115335.jpg
Might try some commercial Rubs next time.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Looks great. I love doing mine with SPOG. Once the surface gets slushy from the salt I sprinkle a fine layer of espresso powder on that. Let’s that beef flavor shine though and makes a really nice bark.

mike243

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 25, 2018
Looks great, if you can find the Sucklebusters 1836 it is great on beef imo.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Oct 17, 2016
Some of the meatiest Back ribs I've seen, nice, they can't even remotely qualify for the derogatory Shiners label.
You did a nice cook on those, they look great.
The rib in hand pic is complete money.

spudthegreater

Fire Starter
Aug 12, 2020
Some of the meatiest Back ribs I've seen, nice, they can't even remotely qualify for the derogatory Shiners label.
You did a nice cook on those, they look great.
The rib in hand pic is complete money.
you know, I was afraid of getting a pack of shiners after watching so many youtube vids of bbq ribs gone wrong. One rack i saw literally had half the rack with gaping gaps between the ribs, with no meat at all. These were prime and I wasn't disappointed.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 22, 2009
Good looking ribs my friend!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Top Bottom
Clicky