Portland, OR kettle smoker taking it to the NEXT LEVEL!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jsrunning

Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Hey everyone,

I'm excited to join this great community of smoked meat lovers.  Just trolling through the forums so far, it's easy to see this is a rich gathering of kind spirited like-minded individuals who love to share their passion for smoking meat, feeding those we care about and love, and getting the most out of our gear. (can I get an amen?
kewl.gif
)

I'm a native Oregonian, currently (and always will be) living in Portland.  To me, it's the greatest city on the planet, and I'm lucky enough to live here (no offense to inhabitants of other cities.. Portland is just the town for me!).  I'm a software engineer by trade, with a side business/hobby of photography  (new website in the works, my Facebook Page has tons of samples of my work). My specialty of my art being (wait for it) fire performance photography.  Anyone sense a theme of passion here?  FIRE!

My first Weber kettle was given to me as a housewarming gift from my step-dad about 7 years ago, and I have progressed from  basic grilling to smoking meats on it through the years.  I've done boston butt, ribs, brined turkey, rotisserie chicken, and all the grillables I could imagine, all using my 22" Weber.  But I've always been envious of a true offset smoker setup.  My goal is to eventually own an extensive Horizon pit, but I definitely need more experience with the low-and-slow before I make it there, I think.

So in the meantime, I've now got myself a brand new Char-Griller Duo, seasoned up and ready for my Side Fire Box to arrive tomorrow via UPS.  I'm beyond excited to take smoking meats to a whole new level with this setup.  I know my wife and daughters are excited too (well, not necessarily my 8 month old, she mostly just claps at anything I do
icon_smile.gif
, but my 9 year old is excited for "ribs ribs RIBS!").  I've already extended the charcoal side chimney to grate level, and installed two new thermometers (one fire side, one opposite)  also at grate level.  I'm also in the process of enlisting the help of my metal-working genius friend in fabricating an expanded steel charcoal basket, and perhaps a more extensive baffle once I learn what is needed for my setup.

Consider this a preemptive THANK YOU for all the great posts, threads, and tips I've been getting from this amazing community already.  Thanks to some of you, I was able to make the decision to get my Duo with confidence knowing I can make the most out of what's available.  I hope to provide lots and lots of QView once I get my setup completed.  Being a photographer will hopefully help with that immensely.  Just be careful you don't short out your keyboards drooling over all the incredible meats I plan to smoke up!

Cheers and thanks for the opportunity to share it all!

Jeremy

welcome1.gif
 to SMF . You have come to the right place for smoking info. This site is loaded with great info just use the search bar at top of page to find what you are looking for. If you can't locate the answer just ask folks here are willing to share there knowledge. 

Welcome to the forum fellow Portlander! I started out like you with a chargriller - and it was an OK place to start and learn about fire controll. Hopefully you have a covered porch area to smoke in, with all our lovely "liquid sunshine" 9 months out of the year having a covered area makes a huge differance. Hope to see some posts of some good que! If you see some smoke signals going up in the Capitol Hill area that would be me! LOL
biggrin.gif

Welcome to the forum fellow Portlander! I started out like you with a chargriller - and it was an OK place to start and learn about fire controll. Hopefully you have a covered porch area to smoke in, with all our lovely "liquid sunshine" 9 months out of the year having a covered area makes a huge differance. Hope to see some posts of some good que! If you see some smoke signals going up in the Capitol Hill area that would be me! LOL
biggrin.gif
Glad to meet another PDXer here!  I've never been afraid of the rain.. but I'm also hoping to take better care of this new setup, so I am hoping to set up a nice covered area for me to work under in that drippy drip.  I'm thinking a pop up canopy of some sort might do the trick for now.

This weekend is supposed to be brilliant weather, so I'll be finishing up my modifications and posting pics!  Look for my own smoke signals on Sunday from the Terwilliger area of South Burlingame!

Pleasure meeting you brother!

Glad to meet another PDXer here!  I've never been afraid of the rain.. but I'm also hoping to take better care of this new setup, so I am hoping to set up a nice covered area for me to work under in that drippy drip.  I'm thinking a pop up canopy of some sort might do the trick for now.

This weekend is supposed to be brilliant weather, so I'll be finishing up my modifications and posting pics!  Look for my own smoke signals on Sunday from the Terwilliger area of South Burlingame!

Pleasure meeting you brother!
I will probably be able to see them smoke signals.... I'm just a tad south of you, just south of Barbur Foods.... lol.

welcome1.gif
  Former Oregonian here ... No big city livin for this girl tho lol I was one a dem back woodz girls
laugh1.gif
lived on the banks of the Deschuttes river in that small 365 population town of Maupin Or .. COULDN'T take it anymore so I moved out here near Boston almost 14 years ago . Miss the coast but thats about it
laugh1.gif
The east coast is boring and looks like a big lake around this area ...

Wish you all the luck with your new smokin upgrade ..

[h5]Hello Jeremy and 
welcome1.gif
to SMF - glad to have you here [/h5]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky