Pork Rib and Chicken Thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

t-roy

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Indiana
Tomorrow (Sunday) I'm going to smoke chicken for the first time and I'm going to throw on a spare rib (second time).

After some reading around here, I'm going to brine the thighs tonight Erains recipe I saw (looks good) but we have fresh cilantro going gang busters in the garden, so some of that -some how- as well. Do I sauce 'em with a brush before they are done (like bottled bbq sauce??). But I like the idea of basting with apple juice, so I'm doing that.

The Rib...I'm gonna trim it proper (feeling like an IDIOT for the all years I've left the membranes on after reading the rib section) and just do some olive oil, brown sugar, fresh ground pepper and salt before hand. Apple juice during smoke as well. Sauce, or no? Hickory or Mesquite (I know apple would be better but that's what I got right now). I will go grab some dried out grapevines from the woods however.

All feedback and suggestions welcome, thank you so much!

Do what you want T-Roy I like to serve the BBQ sauce heated and on the side its so good off the smoker alot of people don't use sauce. Either wood will work or a combination of them personally i use alot of hickory

Me too! !! I just grabbed a slab, a little garlic salt and pepper, and slapped those babies on the grill. Membrane and all. That has all changed since I started visiting this site! I prefer hickory, I think mesquite is a bit overpowering. Agree with piney on the sauce on the side. Once it is on, ya can't take it off!

Most people use Hickory on pork, Apple is seen more as a chicken wood. Apple is good on ribs, I normaly use an Apple/Maple mix because that is what grows around here.

**smacks forehead!!**
STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

You might want to leave out the olive oil as it might create a barrier for the smoke to penetrate, and hinder the smoke flavor.

Just my thoughts, take it for what it's worth.

I kmow you're aware of this, but just in case someone isn't... always keep the chicken below any othe foods that you're smoking, a safety issue. Good luck my friend, I'll be looking for your Q View!

Nope, I am not a professional smoker, am I off base? Please correct if I am wrong. I know oil creates a protective barrier, I just did a marrinade with oil as part of the ingredients, and as an after thought I rubbed some Teryaki on and it just ran off.

Well, nothing really went as planned (welcome to my world!). BUT....we we're all stoked with the results. Check it out!!!

Put the rib on at 9:30, right as we left for church. Got back at 12:30 (fire was out unfortunately) stoked the fire back up and threw on the chicken around 2:30 I believe anticipating 4 hours or so (WRONG!! LOL!!). I used Kinder's Tequila Lime (http://www.kindersmeats.com) rub on the chicken, no oils and I didn't end up brining the chicken either because I only had iodized salt and wasn't sure if I should use that so I didn't. Around 7pm....I took it all off...err....the meat I mean, although it was extremely hot! ;)

Thta's the way we like it, Congrats on a good smoke and Q View roo!

BTW, I had NO idea about separating the chicken from everything else. So I DO appreciate your heads up on that. I saw your post late Saturday night! So what I did as you can see is I put the chicken on the right (under the smoke stack) and the ribs first (to the left) closest to the fire box. Hope this was correct, but mines not a vertical smoker so I "recalibrated" your instructions! Never assume with me as I'm a true newb! all advice is truly welcome!

Looks fantastic T-roy, but do us a favor and in the upload area of Photobucket there should be a BLUE options link. Choose 800 x 600 pixels for you upload size. This will keep us from having to scroll right to view all the photo and read all the text.

great lookin qview!!!!! nice to have a plan, they dont always work. thats where plan "B" comes in whether it more horshoes and bev....great job!!!!

Well...I'm at it again today! One rack of pork spare ribs and a pack of chicken quarters. Did a basic store bought rub on both. Didn't put on till 10:30am on account of men's bible study this morning so its gonna be a late dinner!! Using a leftover goolosh of margarita mix, brandy and some water for spritzing....tastes good?! **couple squirts into pie-hole** YUMMM!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky