Pork Butt - Cooking ahead & then warming up question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shawnmaloney01

Fire Starter
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta, GA
Will the meat still be just as good if smoke the meat the day before an event that need it at and then warm it up the day of?

If so what is recommended method to warm it up the day of?

Quite honestly, pulled pork has better flavor usually a day after as the smoke and flavors meld into the meat. Save some of the juices and put it with the meat and extra on the side (fat strained).

Crock pot with some of the juices or a little apple juice will get it done for warming up. I'd keep it BBQ sauce free so your recipients can sauce or not to their preference. You can do that in the oven too, make sure it's covered.

THe only CON to reheating, is you will lose a nice firm bark as it will soften. Thats probably the best perk to eating PP straight after a cook.

Reactions: shawnmaloney01
as mentioned smoked meats to me always taste better the next day or two, I usually just reheat in a foil pan covered with tinfoil in the oven around 250 for 45-60 minutes if it seems a little dry just add a little bbq. sauce and stir it in.

I do vendor events/catering and I always try and cook my meats a few weeks ahead of the event, vac pac and freeze it. For reheating you can drop the sealed bags in simmering(not boiling) water, you can use a sous vide device to the same way. I more often then not use a turkey roaster to bring it up slowly with some chicken stock to keep moisture.

While hot, pull and add any sauce... If you wait until it's cold, it will solidify and be almost impossible to pull... That has been my experience....

Quite honestly, pulled pork has better flavor usually a day after as the smoke and flavors meld into the meat. Save some of the juices and put it with the meat and extra on the side (fat strained).

Crock pot with some of the juices or a little apple juice will get it done for warming up. I'd keep it BBQ sauce free so your recipients can sauce or not to their preference. You can do that in the oven too, make sure it's covered.

THe only CON to reheating, is you will lose a nice firm bark as it will soften. Thats probably the best perk to eating PP straight after a cook.

When you say save some of the juices - how is this accomplished?

When you say save some of the juices - how is this accomplished?

he means capture the juices when smoking by putting a pan (usually foil) under the butt and when resting.

I defat the juices when everything is done to try and make it a little easier on my heart which there are ways to do that, just google. I got a cheap defatter.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky