Pork butt carnitas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FishAndBeer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 4, 2020
Wisconsin
First time trying this so we will see how it turns out but I started with a pork butt seasoned with some dirty bird..
20200607_104853.jpg
About a hour in... while waiting for it to hit 160 I juiced some oranges and cut up a onion. I also finely grated about 8 garlic cloves.
20200607_135212.jpg
20200607_144231.jpg
it hit 160 so I pulled it to wrap now just waiting for it to hit 200
20200607_145724.jpg
Dumped its own juices in there as well and added a half can of coke. I'll update when it is finished. I want to fry some of this up on the blackstone when it's done for some carnitas tonight.
20200607_181512.jpg
pulled at 205ish let rest for a bit beforeI shredded
20200607_162031.jpg
made a avacado sauce with avacado, cilantro, jalapeno sour cream and mayo
20200607_185544.jpg
After they rested I fried a dinner size portion up for me and the lady
20200607_190223.jpg
they turned out great! I will be doing this again

Last edited:
In addition to onion juice, orange and a little lime, I add some cumin, coriander, chile peppers, etc while it's wrapped. You really want to cook it down. Don't worry too much about the internal temp, just cook it until it falls apart in chunks. We usually take a pan of the pork and return to the oven just long enough to crisp up the edges before making tacos.

Reactions: FishAndBeer
I make a lot of enchiladas, burritos, and tacos with leftover pulled pork. Take what you want and add a little chili powder and your favorite salsa when it goes on the griddle. Chili powder makes everything taste more Mexican. RAY

In addition to onion juice, orange and a little lime, I add some cumin, coriander, chile peppers, etc while it's wrapped. You really want to cook it down. Don't worry too much about the internal temp, just cook it until it falls apart in chunks. We usually take a pan of the pork and return to the oven just long enough to crisp up the edges before making tacos.
Yeah I was going to add that when I shredded, I plan on crisping some up on the blackstone before I make them into tacos
I make a lot of enchiladas, burritos, and tacos with leftover pulled pork. Take what you want and add a little chili powder and your favorite salsa when it goes on the griddle. Chili powder makes everything taste more Mexican. RAY
Haha!
Looking good so far!
Thank you

Looks good. Orange, Onion, Cola, the only thing I would add is a couple sticks of Cinnamon. Canela is traditional but a little hard to find, unless you have a Mexican Grocer near by...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky