Pork Belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Flyboy,

I gotta tell you----We're not talking about you to be rude.

We're just trying to help get to the bottom of how we can help you get even better.

It seems the most important thing is to get your smoking temps down.

Many guys cold smoke (below 100°) smoker temp.

However I prefer the smoke flavor I get from smoking with Smoker temps between 100° and 130°.

Either of these ways would be better than smoking Bacon at a high smoker temp to a high internal temp.

You can see what I'm talking about at that link I posted above.

I think that can help a lot.

Bear

I didn't think for one second any of you guys were trying to be rude, I come here because i'm a newbie and I want to learn more and get better and all of the help and tips you guys have given are greatly appreciated my friend...

Good news!!! We've gotten to the bottom of the issues. Flyboy...what Bear said. We're definitely trying to help here and I sincerely hope we have. I know that most electric smoker (I've got an MES30) have a 10-20 degree swing, so I just simply turn it on and go. That way I know that sometime it'll be 120 and sometimes maybe 90 in there. There's no need to be exact, but you surely want to stay below the rendering fat temps.

For your curing process it sounds good to go. Just add in the extra 24 hours in the fridge uncovered, remove the water pan, and adjust your temps and you'll be set for greatness. 

Now, do you need help disposing of that bacon so you can make more? I'm just that kinda guy 
yahoo.gif
You guys have certianly pointed me in the right direction and i'm going to get some more pork belly and do it again...and sure, come on over and help me eat it...

I've learned a great bit here and the tips and knowlege you guys give is greatly appreciated...

I want to thank you all for all of your wisdom and help...I'm going to get some more belly and do it again and follow your advice...

God Bless...

Billy...

Thanks again for all of the help with smoking pork belly. One more question before I start my next batch. I cured it for 7 days last time but I've seen where some people cure it longer. Would 10 days make it better?

Thanks again for all of the help with smoking pork belly. One more question before I start my next batch. I cured it for 7 days last time but I've seen where some people cure it longer. Would 10 days make it better?
I did my belly at 10 days. People say that the cure goes 1/4 in into the meat from all sides each day and then add +-2 or 3 days for insurance. I don't know how much science is involved, but it's what I did and it worked perfectly fine. 

Thanks RG...I'm a newbie making bacon and going to give it another shot...

Absolutely give it another shot. Once you get it right, you'll never buy store bacon again. Over the weekend, I found a lb of bacon from the store that was coming to it's final date. We made a few pieces for breakfast, and it was just sad. Homemade is just so much better. There are tons of threads on making bacon here, but here's mine. I listed the ingredients in percentage of green weight of the belly. I find it easier to reproduce results myself and easier for others to use the recipe when they're listed like this.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/174754/bacon-1st-timer

FWIW, that was my 1st time making bacon also. A bit of research and confirming information with the fellas here goes along way!

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the thickness of the meat has some to do with curing time.

That's a good point to chewmeister. this belly is probably close to 2 inches at the thickest and about 1 inch at it's thinnest so I may cut it and make two pieces...

The main thing is to cure it long enough to get the cure to center. It doesn't matter if that takes 7 or 10 or 14 days to happen, just so it happens. Neither would be "better" than the others, as long as the cures all get to the center.

Bear

That's a good point to chewmeister. this belly is probably close to 2 inches at the thickest and about 1 inch at it's thinnest so I may cut it and make two pieces...
It doesn't matter if you cut it or not. Just do your figuring on the thickest part of the Belly. It won't hurt for the thinner part to get the same curing time.

Bear

Question for Bear and Bacon;  since pork belly is dense does it take longer for the TQ to get all the way to the center ?

Gary

It doesn't matter if you cut it or not. Just do your figuring on the thickest part of the Belly. It won't hurt for the thinner part to get the same curing time.

Bear
Thanks Bear...

I'm going to take all the advice you guys have given me and see how it goes this time...

Pork belly help...

I have rubbed my bellies down with a brown sugar cure that i hot from our local home processing store. Only thing i was concerned about was the amount of moisture im seeing in a juice form in the bags. Is there a certain amount you should see? Or am i over worrying?
I believe i got it covered enough with cure. I just didnt put on rrally heavy. As i figured itd get to salty.

onky been curing 2 days. Should i add more cure?

Thanks guys

I also have a question. I plan on smoking some pork belly this saturday. after I take it out of the cure and rinse it I should do a fry test to checfk the salt level. what should I do if it tastes to salty?

Pork belly help...

I have rubbed my bellies down with a brown sugar cure that i hot from our local home processing store. Only thing i was concerned about was the amount of moisture im seeing in a juice form in the bags. Is there a certain amount you should see? Or am i over worrying?
I believe i got it covered enough with cure. I just didnt put on rrally heavy. As i figured itd get to salty.

onky been curing 2 days. Should i add more cure?

Thanks guys
Can you be specific as to how much cure was added to how many lbs of belly? That's the only way we can tell if you've added enough. Second, you're going to see moisture build up in the bags because it's being drawn out of the belly by the cure and salt that you've added.

I also have a question. I plan on smoking some pork belly this saturday. after I take it out of the cure and rinse it I should do a fry test to checfk the salt level. what should I do if it tastes to salty?
Soak the belly in water for 1 hour then re-test. I'd also change the water out at the 30 minute mark when doing this.

I've got my pork belly curing I will do a test piece. Today my pork loins come out of the bags with cure, I'll wash them cut a piece from the middle of the thickest one and a fry it up. Be smoking them tomorrow

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky