Pork Belly/burnt ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bangster

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 23, 2017
Been awhile since I posted here, still go at it at least a couple times a week on the smoker (Traeger pellet pooper).

Been wanting to try pork belly. Haven't found a whole one, but Costco had them cut into strips about 2 inches wide. I wanted to only do burnt ends, but decided to leave 3 strips intact and cube the other 4.

coated in whatever Costco Pork Barrel BBQ rub has in it, using the Gourmet pellets (hickory, maple, cherry)
NrTxgC4.jpg

rainy day (rare here), but decide to go for it
Z4YzPKQ.jpg

gets to this point, and rains...so move the smoker under the car port
mOmsOpo.jpg

cubes and chunks at 170/180 degrees after 2 hours at 225 (should have gone with lower?)
ywjSL2f.jpg

butter, brown sugar, and honey
PmZRQND.jpg

bigger pieces up to 170, so into foil with a little apple juice (not much)
Q7Q85fR.jpg

back on for about 45 minutes, I really need to start using my oven at this point, but does make the house smell like a BBQ place
eWB21sL.jpg

Very tender and around 200 degrees, so pulled the foil off the cubes and BBQ sauced some of them, this is a practice session. Sitting in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour until ready to eat, will update when upwrapping them.

While waiting to unwrap and eat, a few of the recent smokes:
chickens (practicing for Thanksgiving)
7ZSfC8b.jpg

hPO6T4B.jpg

Thanksgiving real deal, dry brined turkey, apple juice brined breast and drumstick (bought a couple drumsticks to have one to make gravy with, some don't like giblet gravy)
1dlN5cU.jpg

Me learning that you don't smoke corn, you roast it...
Ce2Q6Ta.jpg

1pmkhVk.jpg

one of many pork butts for pulled pork, not sure why I wanted to try with the pan of marinade, didn't do much, experimented...
uLiSO99.jpg

n5ckiin.jpg

lots of salmon been done, wife likes it with cream cheese and bagels, daughter found that smoked salmon mac and cheese is nearly as good as lobster mac and cheese
GYmbEpd.jpg

Pork belly “burn’t ends” are awesome, bangster!
Keep experimenting. I too was disappointed with smoked corn and whatever you do, do not smoke cauliflower. Seriously, don’t do it...

overall, thumbs up from the family, except the person (child) that has issues with texture of food. Can't take the fat, tried to get them the only eat the meat part, but they were too far freaked out.
ns0qaOA.jpg

mpxqOuU.jpg

xH3OXFn.jpg

HAbOoPy.jpg

Meat was perfectly tender, has enough substance to it that it had to be chewed, but cut with the grain it was super tender, across the grain there was resistance. Super juicy even after 30 minutes warming in the oven (expected 5 hours cooking time, not 3 hours).

What would I do differently?
do half, we have a lot of leftovers (only 3 people)
return the burnt ends to the grille to crisp them up more
smaller cubes (not bit sized, but more consistent maybe, but everyone likes them a little differently, which this allows)
put them fat side down on 400 degrees for a little while to crisp them all the way

Well they sure look good from here.
This is something I have not tried yet, but it is on the ToDo list!
Al

Pork belly “burn’t ends” are awesome, bangster!
Keep experimenting. I too was disappointed with smoked corn and whatever you do, do not smoke cauliflower. Seriously, don’t do it...
I was looking to smoke cauliflower tonight. Thanks for the heads up!

Bangster fine looking meals you got going on there. Next time your at Costco ask someone in the meat department if they have any pork belly that isn't cut up yet. I've done it with brisket before(leaving the fat cap on). They are usually more then accommodating at least ours is, and they'll package it up whole for you.

point for sure

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky