Please help with my Maverick Model ET-732--constant problems

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kryinggame

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2007
Charlotte, NC
For the life of me, I can't understand what's going on.

I have a MES 30 smoker. I bought the  ET-732 thermometer.

The problem is the Barbecue reading.

The reading is always extremely higher than what's possible.

My smoker can only reach 275 degrees internal temperature.  Today, I was smoking a pork loin and had the smoker set for 235 degrees. The dang ET-73 was displaying the temperature inside the oven about 289 degrees.  This is impossible. 

I've changed the Barbecue probe several times and the reading is always extreme.

I've noticed that some of ya'll put a potato through your barbecue probe. I'm wondering if this causes stability with your temperature reading.

Finally, for you all who use the ET-73 as well as MES, where do you keep the probe. I wonder if I'm not putting it in the right place.

Please ehlp, this is a problem that's been goin on for way to long.

Thanks!

I would start by taking the batteries out of both units, reinstalling them then do a reset. On the placement issue - you can use a potato. a block of wood or the clip that came with it to attach to your rack.  I kept loosing the clip so I finally got a scrap piece of  dowel and drilled a hole thru it for the grill probe. The dowel allows me to adjust it so it is not hitting any other object

Good luck - if this does not solve the problem, contact Maverick, they are very helpful  

After checking the batteries calibrate the probes. Put them in boiling water and see if they come around 212 degrees if it does go around 212 degrees then its accurate.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

After checking the batteries calibrate the probes. Put them in boiling water and see if they come around 212 degrees if it does go around 212 degrees then its accurate.
Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
Good call Brian - I had "assumed" he did that but it is good to re check 

Dude, are you living under some Powerlines or something! I remember you had trouble with your MES right out of the box and now the MAV...I usually clip the BBQ probe on the same shelf as the meat, usually to the left side. This gives an accurate reading of what the meat is seeing...JJ

My smoker can only reach 275 degrees internal temperature.  Today, I was smoking a pork loin and had the smoker set for 235 degrees. The dang ET-73 was displaying the temperature inside the oven about 289 degrees.  This is impossible.

That is not impossible. I would not be surprised if your Masterbuilt is off and heating much more than you think. As was suggested, check the thermo with boiling water and you will know if your Masterbuilt was 289º or not.

Okay gang, here's some pics to show that I can't crazy. Pic # 1 is a comparison btwn what the oven shows and what the ET-73 displays. Pic # 1, shows the inside of the MES and how I have the BBQ probe placed.

The ET-73 is showing a remarkable 340 degrees (IMPOSSIBLE), while the Masterbuild (which is generally off 15 degreees)

Did you check your ET 732 probe in boiling water?

That will tell you which is wrong. My money would be the MES but I have been wrong before. If its the ET 732 contact Maverick and they will take care of you.

I don't know much about the MES 30, but I have an MES 40 and it has a known hot spot in the right rear of the smoker.   If your Maverick smoker probe is , indeed in a hot spot, that could explain the issue.  Try moving the mounting point for your Maverick probe to a fifferent location inside the MES 30 and see what happens.

I've called Maverick and told them about the constant problem. I didn't find the customer service to be exceptional. The woman told me to mail the transmitter and probes to her. They'll test them and then decide what to do next.  I'm not impressed but we'll see where we go from there.

I've called Maverick and told them about the constant problem. I didn't find the customer service to be exceptional. The woman told me to mail the transmitter and probes to her. They'll test them and then decide what to do next.  I'm not impressed but we'll see where we go from there.

Did you ever check the Maverick accuracy in boiling water?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky