Playin with fire

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tstalafuse

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 18, 2012
DFW
After playing with my new Smoke-EZ on the Weber, it is time to stop practicing and start playing...

The first attempt was with a whole chicken and pork tender loin.  I didn't get the smoke ring I wanted, but I think that was because the recipe called for 325, which really isn't a smoking temp.  However, both turned out very juicy and taste great, which qualifies as a win for backyard BBQ.  The last couple of weeks of practice did teach me how to zero in on the temp control, but Superbowl Sunday will be the real test with a brisket and Boston Butt for pulled pork sandwiches.  

Unfortunately, the system isn't letting me post any pictures, so once I dig in and find the "how to upload pictures..."  I will put some out here.

Tim

Looking forward to the Q-view...I smoke my pork tenderloins and loins at 225 to a IT of 143*...foil and rest for a half hour before serving. I have been very happy with the results. Your pictures when you first join have to be approved by a administrator on the forum...to keep out spam. Once they do you will be good to go!

BTW welcome to SMF!!!
welcome1.gif

You won't get a smoke ring in Chicken, only in red meat and since smoke ring is a reaction between the Nitrogen in the Smoke and the moisture and Myoglobin in the meat over time...Low and slow is the only path to follow...JJ

Thanks all!

This Saturday is the real smoking test.  I will be putting on a brisket and boston pork butt for the Superbowl Sunday crowd for a long slow smoke.

I do have one question, has anyone notice a shortage of oak?  All my usual big box places either have bare shelves or don't even have a place for it.  Not that I mind going with all mesquite since that is how it is done in West Texas where I grew up, but I do like mixing in some oak or pecan (pecan also seems to be in short supply as well) to help mellow the smoke.

You won't get a smoke ring in Chicken, only in red meat and since smoke ring is a reaction between the Nitrogen in the Smoke and the moisture and Myoglobin in the meat over time...Low and slow is the only path to follow...JJ
I have had many chickens and turkeys with smoke rings evident-

The smoke ring is clearly visible in this pic.

IMHO 325° is an acceptable BBQ cooking temp and my preferred temp for pork loin

Nice looking bird.  I struggle with chicken/turkey.  I usually get no ring or smoke flavoring, but a very tasty bird.  Or, I get a great ring and smoke flavor, but one tough dried out bird.

Not to disagree with Chef Jimmy, but I have gotten a smoke ring in poultry, just not an almost red as you will in beef...... I have even seen a slight ring in some fish, usually in larger game fish.......

But onto the essence of the thread....great job and keep playing with fire....great thing about this is you get to eat your practice :biggrin:

GEEZ Guys , A little Pink on the outer Millimeter of the meat is Hardly a Smoke Ring. But If y'all feel better...I stand corrected...
icon_rolleyes.gif
...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky