Planted garlic for the 1st time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

campfindit2

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 28, 2012
Colorado
Took home some steel decking drop from work and made some raised beds. I filled them this weekend with garlic, looking forward to fresh next year. This was something I'd been meaning to plant for years.

Attachments

• 20231022_140445.jpg
    20231022_140445.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 25
  • GARLIC SEED.jpg
    GARLIC SEED.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 26
This is the time of year to plant garlic. But I've found the flavor of the garlic is not any different than what I buy at the grocery store. I still plant some, just for the helluv it .

Tomatoes and cilantro, are the only two plants I've found SO FAR ..... that have a definite better flavor grown in the garden than at the store.

I once grew onions, but I finally decided it wasn't worth the effort. The flavor of home grown was not better than grocery store.

Garlic is pretty simple. Some varieties differ but the common is to set 2" deep 4" apart. I'll see about flavor differences next July when I harvest. I planted hardneck they grow from Siberia to Italy. From what I read most all the garlic in stores is from China or Cali and is a softneck variety. The softneck grows in warmer zones and has a better storage life but gives up some of the bite of hardneck. Some strains roast up sweeter, some retain their bite after cooking. I'm interested in how they hold up after fermentation, as an addition to hot sauces recipes.

Reactions: Retired Spook
Looks good! I grow garlic and everything else I can. I usually plant about thanksgiving here in southeast Missouri- and harvest about 4th of July
Timber

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky