Pizza

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
thankx Dew.........been wondering this myself.......stumbled on references to this in other threads.........But just did a search on pizza.......WAY to many pages to go thru.........

Wd

Yes a few of us have and it's great!
148822c1_vbattach14705.jpg

I have tossed frozen ones on, takes about 5 beers to cook at 250*, havent done that for a while, go'na try it again after seeing this, might even get stupid and try a homemade one

My only question is should I cook the dough a little bit first and put it right on the rack or put it on a cookie sheet and smoke away?

Think i would put on cookie sheet for a while, then directly on a grill grate after the dough firms up

no DJ

just how you went about doing it?

fresh or frozen?
tho i have to admint......yours was fresh.....

anyone here try frozen?

put it str8 onto the grill?.......so the bottom gets some smoke?

then maybe on a heated up pizza ston to crisp up the bottom?

times and temps......isn't that what we do here?

i know
stickler for details.......why ruin a meal, experimenting, when some0ne here has maybe already blazed the path?

my inquiring mind would like to know

Wd

What I meant was. Should I cook the dough a little bit to firm it up before I put the toppings on so I can cook it on the rack? or should I just make the whole thing up and cook it on a pan?

Sorry Hon -

It's homemade dough, sauce and toppings. I bought a cast iron pizza pan to start it in. http://www.campchef.com/catalog/item...Pizza+Pan.html I rub bacon on the pan first then put the dough on.

Once it firms up some I slide it off onto the grates so it gets better smoke top and bottom. Someone suggested that I through the dough on alone first to firm it up then add the toppings - that's how grilled pizzas are apparently done - haven't tried it ye though.

Temperature was about 250 degrees as I also had other stuff in there, but I'd think if it's the only ting or maybe chicken I'd crank it up some because starting at a piza for 2-3 hours is really tough!

I put it on the top rack of my Smoke Vault because that's the hottest and smokiest spot and because I didn't want it to get soggy from the meat juices.

I imagine you could make a frozen pizza just as well. I've only tried frozen pizza once and it was like a cookie with very little cheese so I make my own.

Basic Pizza Dough:
1 cup warm (110 degrees F) water
1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
3 cups bleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix the water, yeast, sugar, and 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl and let sit until the it's foamy, about 5 minutes.

Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all mixed well and smooth. Add the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until all the flour is mixed in but the dough is still slightly sticky.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, 3 to 5 minutes. Keep your hands and counter top well floured so it doesn't stick.

Oil a large mixing bowl with the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until nearly doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

For smoking because the heated smoker is not that hot you can skip the raising step just sprinkle garlic powder all over the flattened dough.

Add topings that you would like more cooked into the sauce like onions, peppers, pepperoni first then add sauce. It just enhances the sauce flavor.

Add cheeses and other toppings the throw it in the smoker for about 2 - 3 hours for a nice smoky flavor. Put bacon on top it really gets smokey!

Hey Dew I seen you in my yard this morning you will soom be frost on the pumkin. I would most definitly partially cook the dough in a 500' oven for about 5 mins. I am a bread baker by hobby.

I smoked a couple of fattys last weekend and I couldn't help but think that it would make a great pizza topping. I think I'll smoke another and use that and some good bacon and I'll try it this weekend at the campground.

Debi that is some great info, but i'm a little puzzled, way not bbq sauce some left over smoked meat, then the standerd toppings?

I'm builden a pizza the next time the smoker gets cranked up!!

I had heard of people, mostly from my wifes family, cooking pizza on a grill.

This summer I had the pleasure trying it when we visited her aunt and uncle in Montana. It was some of the best pizza you'll ever have. The trick that they shared with us is definitely cooking the dough first; then let people through their sauce and toppings on it and through it back on the grill to heat up the toppings.

I guess some things like uncooked meats and other things that need to be cooked will have to be tested; we only used precooked meats so you may have to make some adjustments to this suggestion if there are toppings that are raw.

I recently bought a Smith and Wesson 44 Mag smoker/grill. I've dove right in and cooked ribs/tenderloin, chicken and hotdogs and hamburgers on it. It does a great job. I can't wait to try Pizza; in fact that may be the next thing I try.

Buzz-

Never tried BBQ sauce on pizza but I have used it in smoked Strombolis with shreadded brisket and cheese. I think I posted that someplace. I believe Lisa asked how to make strombolis.

White Cloud - I love making bread! We'll have to share recipes! I'm looking for a real crusty style Black Russian Rye. I love that stuff!

I came across this one debi, not sure if it's what your looking for but I've got a hankering to make some small dark rye's to turn into chips for doing that chex party stuff......this one is for a bread machine but we all can manage otherwise
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

• 1 1/2 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 2 1/2 cups bread flour
  • 1 cup rye flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons margarine
  • 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
  • 1 tablespoon caraway seed
  • 1/4 teaspoon fennel seed (optional)
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
Place ingredients into the bread machine in order suggested by the manufacturer.
  1. Use the whole wheat, regular crust setting.
  2. After the baking cycle ends, remove bread from pan, place on a cake rack, and allow to cool for 1 hour before slicing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky