Pit went out... Help?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

titus0327

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
North Tonawanda, NY
Help. I’ve got 50 people coming over shortly. Butts went on at 12am. Pit was at 230* at 12:30am. I went to bed. Woke up at 730am, pit was out and at 110*. Butts were temping at 100*. I have no idea how long the pit was out for. It is a BGE, so it does hold temps well. Fired it back up and was rolling back at 285* by 830. Still plan to take the butts to 205*.

Question is, am I risking food poisoning for everyone?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
I'm iffy on this one. Chicken, pork, and seafood scare me when temps are unknown for unknown hours.

I've had food poisoning at leat 10x in my life. 2 were hospitalized overnight.

No issue with the possibility butts were under 140 for many hours?
Pit temp was 230* so it was sterilized, meat is whole muscle so if not injected, the only bacteria (if present) were on the surface. It is reasonable to assume the pit temp stayed above 200 for an hour or more so the meat surface was sterilized as well.
If the butts were injected then Its a whole nother story and in this case I would say unsafe.

Keep going, you are fine (if you didn't inject) otherwise get on the phone to the local pizza place to order a bunch. Please get yourself a remote thermometer set that can monitor both grate & IT temps. It should have an alarm and hopefully linked to your phone. Using it will alert you when the temp begins to drop. It's the #1 thing everybody should have when doing overnight smokes.

Ha, Steve beat me to it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Pit temp was 230* so it was sterilized, meat is whole muscle so if not injected, the only bacteria (if present) were on the surface. It is reasonable to assume the pit temp stayed above 200 for an hour or more so the meat surface was sterilized as well.
If the butts were injected then Its a whole nother story and in this case I would say unsafe.
Makes sense to me, thanks. I struggle to get my head around the safety aspect on these things. chef jimmy RIP always helped explain things too. I sure agree on the thermo with alarm. So cheap anymore and can save a lot of headache.

jcam222 jcam222
Chef JJ is irreplaceable but his words are forever enshrined here.

My Smoker is fine but if I had a Dollar for everytime i answered this type of post. I'd be smoking on a $20,000 Kalamazoo!
Bottom line...If the meat is INTACT Bacteria on the surface is DEAD, HISTORY, KAPUT IN 30 to 60 MINUTES OR LESS AT 225°F!!! As soon as the surface gets to 140 or higher, the bacteria dies, always, everytime, and this will never change. There is then No Risk and No Reason to Toss the Meat. So restart the Smoker and Finish the cook.
" But it's been hours, what about bacteria in the Air contaminating the meat? "
Yes, there are Airborne Bacteria that could possibly get on the meat, but most smokers are pretty well sealed and besides, bacteria don't grow well on the Salty/Sweet surface of Rubbed or Dry meat, so AGAIN no risk.

The only meat we need to worry about is the Non-Intact meat like that which is Ground, Injected, Boned and Tied or meat Punched full of Holes to add herbs and spices. With any of these, you have to know how high the IT got before the smoker died. If the IT did or likely hit140°F+, no Risk.

This Info has written Hundreds of times around here, and the OTBS GUYS SHOULD KNOW THIS COLD!!!:emoji_rage: :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing:
Everyone else reading this, Please memorize it, both for yourself and when giving Newbies advice.
There are VERY FEW CIRCUMSTANCES where Tossing the Meat is necessary, and they usually involve Smokers dying while smoking Ground Meat or Chicken. In this case, see the 40 to 140°F in 4 hours Guideline....JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky