Pit Boss Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iceman6409

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 11, 2016
Rochester, NY
Hey all you Pit Boss Classic owners and users. I am seriously thinking about getting one. I am a single person so I don't technically need the space of the Austen XL, although it is temptpting. Anyways please let me know your honest exeprience with the Pit Boss Classic 700 sq ft pellet smoker

Don't know about the 700 but I have an Austin xl and love it
IMG_20200829_120228.jpg

Smoked a pork butt on it today

I'm with them I also own the Austin XL

Reactions: TNJAKE
Pellet smokers provide pretty good smoke as is but I prefer the extra smoke the tube provides. In the winter I use the tube with the smoker off to cold smoke things like cheese

Reactions: ptcruiserguy
My spouse told me that her stepmom is going to buy me a gift of my choosing up to $450. So I thought that the Pit Boss Classic and a cover would be a good choice. It appears to be like the xl just smaller hopper and grill space.

Last edited:
My spouse told me that her stepmom is going to buy me a gift of my choosing up to $450. So I thought that the Pit Boss Classic and a cover would be a good choice. It appears to be like the xl just smaller hopper and grill space.
Cool you'll love it. Pit boss makes a pretty good smoker.

Hey all you Pit Boss Classic owners and users. I am seriously thinking about getting one. I am a single person so I don't technically need the space of the Austen XL, although it is temptpting. Anyways please let me know your honest exeprience with the Pit Boss Classic 700 sq ft pellet smoker

that sir is one massive smoker. I think I might be reading this wrong. 700 sq ft smoker.

700 sq in is plenty for most people. I have the 1000SC (similar to the Austin XL). I could have gotten away with a smaller grill but sometimes I smoke for big groups. I love my Pit Boss. Go for it you will enjoy it!

I have the 700FB. Good smoker I have not had any problems with it, It does have hot spots but once i figured them out no problems. Have done a bunch of over night smokes, "brisket, pork butts" and i have never had problems.

As long as you clean out the ash you should not have any problems also invest in a cover for it.

No such thing as "too big of a smoker!"

Note 700 sq in is probably the summation of area of multiple grates inside. Make sure you know the size of the main one. Most of the PB's with 700 in their name have a main grill area of ~23"x19". I wouldn't consider smaller than that...you want the option of doing a large brisket, ribs, or turkey without surgery. You really won't save anything in fuel costs with small ones; it's just the initial investment you might save. Other considerations are... ease of emptying the pellet hopper, the ability to get some direct-flame searing, and ease of adding/using a rotisserie.

This looks like a pretty good no-frills model:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky