Pit Boss Laredo 1000 No Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mallen32

Original poster
Dec 3, 2014
I’ve been smoking for a while with a propane smoker but I recently got a pellet smoker. I’m using it for the first time but I’m getting hardly any smoke at all. I’m using apple wood pellets which are brand new so I know they’re not wet. I’m smoking at 225 and getting hardly any smoke at all. Any advice would be appreciated!

What "P" setting are you using?
I may be wrong, but I don’t think the Laredo 1000 has P settings. At least I can’t find a way to change the P setting. It just says in the manual to keep the temp lower for more smoke. The adjustable setting I can find is the temp. The pic attached is what the control board looks like the only buttons are power, prime, light and c/f. The knob adjust temp.
image.jpg

It illuminates when the auger is moving and goes off when it stops.
Gotcha. I don't have much help. I will say that the smoke will appear light and won't smoke constantly. Pellet smokers only smoke Everytime pellets are dropped into auger then will taper back off. Listen for the auger to drop pellets and look closely at the stack. It's probably smoking

I always thought their pellets were a bit light. Lumber Jack has been my favorite.
I’ll check those out. I knew going in that the applewood would be more mild but that’s what I always used in my previous smoker so I went with it anyway. I’ll experiment with other types.

Pellet smokers dont put off smoke like other units. Mine always gets the flavor but very little of the smoke look. Just need to try a few smokes, learn the unit, and youll be turning out great food soon.

Reactions: mallen32
Pellet smokers dont put off smoke like other units. Mine always gets the flavor but very little of the smoke look. Just need to try a few smokes, learn the unit, and youll be turning out great food soon.
I had read that too, but I was concerned cause I didn’t get the initial thick white smoke that seems to be common when you start up the unit and the pellets smolder before igniting. But I’m sure as I get accustomed to it I’ll learn the ins and outs. Once my ribs finish I’ll let you all know how they turned out!

I had read that too, but I was concerned cause I didn’t get the initial thick white smoke that seems to be common when you start up the unit and the pellets smolder before igniting. But I’m sure as I get accustomed to it I’ll learn the ins and outs. Once my ribs finish I’ll let you all know how they turned out!
That thick white burn you get at start up will only happen that one time. The rest will be very light

I just bought a Traeger pellet smoker this summer. It was concerning how little smoke came out, still is, I don’t think you get that flavor unless you augment with additional smoke generator, A-Maz-n is a common one here. Smoke daddy and a few others that require some mods to your smoker are also available. I use A-Maz-n, I usually need to babysit the tray, but it’s the only way for me to get a good smoke and smoke ring. I do think that Lumber Jack pellets are the best (cheaper too). The stronger mesquite flavors do come through more. Anyway, it’s the trade off for the ease of the pellet smokers, IMO, very little good smoke, even at lower temps. Oh! Get some Lavalock High Temp Nomex BBQ gasket seal, high temp self seal. Pellet smokers usually have poor seal, going around your CC door keeps the little smoke you do have inside.

Humidity makes a big difference how much smoke you see when it comes to pellet smokers. Some runs with all variables the same other than RH on my unit will have only light visible smoke.

I’ve been smoking for a while with a propane smoker but I recently got a pellet smoker. I’m using it for the first time but I’m getting hardly any smoke at all. I’m using apple wood pellets which are brand new so I know they’re not wet. I’m smoking at 225 and getting hardly any smoke at all. Any advice would be appreciated!
Well, as I suspected, the ribs were juicy but lacked any smoke flavor. They tasted like I cooked them in the oven. I’ll explore some different pellet options and possibly use a smoke tube if necessary. Thanks for all the help!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky