Pit Boss at Menards

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I bought the previous model year for $299.00 on clearance (wheels are on the opposite end) in 2015 and the thermocouple immediately went out. I was able to light it manually but it was kind of a pain. I called and they shipped a new one that day and received it the next, no proof of purchase or anything else, blew me away, great customer service (even though it was 2 weeks before I actually changed it out). Since then I have done loads of ribs, briskets, shoulders and grilled constantly with it, burgers, fish and chicken mostly. The 500 degree direct flame does great for grilling. I use their competition blend pellets mixed with a little extra Apple and the smoke is great. It seems to be well constructed and holding up well. It's not a Traeger but I can buy another one at full price and still have about the same amount in it.

I picked up an 820 Pit Boss yesterday at Menards after comparing it to the Traeger Century 22 at Costco, it seems the internals are built a little stouter and it's got significantly more cooking area on the main grill level plus the top shelf and the ability to sear is a real bonus with the Pit Boss.

Did the initial burn off and shut it down, started it up today and have it loaded with half chickens using the Pit Boss competition pellets and it's cruising along out there in the wind within 10* of the t-stat setting and it only varies about +20* for a little bit in relation to auger cycles when it's adding fuel it works perfectly and after one hour there's a decent amber smoke on the chicken skin. 

Read alot of misinformation regarding how to start and stop these in threads on different forums, the fact page at Pit Boss makes it much easier to brush up on the does and dont's of starting and stopping and how the P settings really work before you use it for the first time I'm happy with it so far. 

https://www.pitboss-grills.com/support/faqs/

I have both a 700 and 820, I bought the 700 new for home and loved it. Found a used 820 and brought it to work. I have used their pellets which are the same as Louisiana grills, (same company) I have used Traeger pellets and GMG pellets as well. I like the diversity of flavors in all of them and have not found a big difference using either or. As for Price I am in Canada so 499 US to me is a great price. We get the shaft when exchange and duty are added plus transport. I don't think you will regret it as far as a pellet pooper goes I think it is right up there in Quality and ease of use. Only thing you will need is a good Temp probe /Thermo or instant read. Good luck and enjoy.

Well first time using it I'm really impressed, never had better smoked chicken!

Using PB competition blend pellets I cooked half the chicken for 2 hours at 300*f then pulled it and the other half I turned it up to 350* at the two hour mark and let it go another 30 minutes. 

Both were amazing, with a slight preference to the 2.5 hour halves you can see both in this pic the chicken up front and to the left was on the extra 1/2 hour. 

Well first time using it I'm really impressed, never had better smoked chicken!

Using PB competition blend pellets I cooked half the chicken for 2 hours at 300*f then pulled it and the other half I turned it up to 350* at the two hour mark and let it go another 30 minutes. 

Both were amazing, with a slight preference to the 2.5 hour halves you can see both in this pic the chicken up front and to the left was on the extra 1/2 hour. 

I really like the PB Competition Blend (PBCB) pellets for smoke flavor on my chicken and any meat that I don't know what wood to use.  I find it to be a little light at times but I just double up on the smoke with my AMNPS and it is right on!

Chicken cooks so quickly at 325F that I ALWAYS use double smoke with those pellets and WOW it comes out great!

Additionally, the price for 40 pounds of those PBCB is like $18-21 or less at Walmart or on Amazon.  You can't really get a better pellet blend for the price.

Agreed. I tried several other single species pellets and blended some myself and the results are unreliable. There's a reason they call it competition blend, I could see using it in a competition and that being one less thing to worry about getting wrong. It's a good, solid, general purpose blend. It is a little thin for quick smokes though it's true. I don't do much poultry due to family dietary issues but have done whole turkey and turkey breasts and it worked well for that since it was a longer smoke.

Agreed. I tried several other single species pellets and blended some myself and the results are unreliable. There's a reason they call it competition blend, I could see using it in a competition and that being one less thing to worry about getting wrong. It's a good, solid, general purpose blend. It is a little thin for quick smokes though it's true. I don't do much poultry due to family dietary issues but have done whole turkey and turkey breasts and it worked well for that since it was a longer smoke.
Thanks for the input.  I have a whole turkey defrosting in the fridge that may get smoked tomorrow or the day after.  I was planning on using the PBCB for the smoke figuring it would be perfect.

I plan to try my prep method of injecting with a doctored up Tony Cachere's Creole Butter with Jalapeno and Brown Sugar added.  This is the method I use when I deep fry a turkey for the holidays.

This is a test run so I will know how this smoked version fairs vs my deep fried version and hopefully get a good idea on where I need to make the tweaks for the smoked version.  I'm also hoping that the injection saves time that would normally be taken to brine.  Lot's of things being tested out here on this go round :)

Very interested in seeing how the turkey goes, it's one of the few things I really haven't done yet and want to get a routine figured out before the holidays this year. Can you share the size of the bird and cooking times / temps as you go?

Very interested in seeing how the turkey goes, it's one of the few things I really haven't done yet and want to get a routine figured out before the holidays this year. Can you share the size of the bird and cooking times / temps as you go?
Will do.  I'll do a separate post on it for sure.  I try to give really detailed posts when I am trying things out and answering questions or discovering things I couldn't really find out about online.

This will be one of those cases :)

I've tried injections and never had great results until I departed from all recipes and used a modified turkey baster to allow all of the spices to get injected too, until then I could never get any good flavor. I've totally abandoned injections for smoking turkeys. I use a heavily seasoned brine and a big cooler. It's easier to mix it all up, drop the turkey in and forget it overnight. I use salt, mushroom soy sauce, Worcestershire, sage, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, garlic powder, onion powder and coriander. I use about a 12lb turkey or so and just drop it in the cooler full of brine and ice the night before. I dry it then rub it and let it sit for a couple of hours before the smoke. After It gets to about 150°, I take It off, wrap It in foil then in towels and put It back on the cooler a few hours before dinner. It always turns out juicy and flavorful. We have a couple of turkeys at thanksgiving but mine disappear first. Haha

Hello folks, man its seems like its been forever since I posted, and looks like it has haha...need to get on here more often!

So I have a rookie question...I am at a point where I am looking at a new grill...prior to this, I have had gas grills. With the temps on the Pit Boss 820 able to get to 500 degrees, could I technically use this as a grill? I have an Old Country BBQ Pit that I use for smoking...and currently, have a duel fuel grill from Sams that is on its last legs. I thought maybe the pellet would give me the ease of gas, but the flavor of charcoal... Thoughts?

Thanks for your input!!!

Yep you can use it as a grill, and with the sear plate you can grill for marks and sear like a regular grill. I am very happy with mine.

Awesome...Now the hard part...finding them in stock :-) Menards only has the 820, not the 820 deluxe (although honestly, the only difference is the copper lid, the side tray, and the solid shelf underneath...but I kinda want that solid shelf. Acadamy Sports has them for $499, but out of stock (unless I want to drive 100+ miles...which I might just do haha!) Thanks for the input!

Awesome...Now the hard part...finding them in stock :-) Menards only has the 820, not the 820 deluxe (although honestly, the only difference is the copper lid, the side tray, and the solid shelf underneath...but I kinda want that solid shelf. Acadamy Sports has them for $499, but out of stock (unless I want to drive 100+ miles...which I might just do haha!) Thanks for the input!
I drove 800 miles, each way, to pick up my current pellet grill :)

Last edited:
1,600 miles 25 miles per gallon x 2.39 per gallon? $154.00 gas
[emoji]128176[/emoji][emoji]127866[/emoji]
that is cheaper than i paid to have my smoker delivered.

although it must be a heck of a truck that can pull a load and get 25 mpg

I figured up the cost of going and getting mine and with the sales tax on the smoker (which i don't pay to have delivered) it was $20 difference and a day of my time is worth more than $20!.

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

I have this unit and completely love it!  Had I known it was as good as it is I would have bought one years ago.  You will not be disappointed!  

1,600 miles 25 miles per gallon x 2.39 per gallon? $154.00 gas
[emoji]128176[/emoji][emoji]127866[/emoji]
Gas was probably closer to $3 at the time. But it's a $5000 (retail) smoker that was used only once that I got for $2100 - so worth the time and $ for me.

that is cheaper than i paid to have my smoker delivered.

although it must be a heck of a truck that can pull a load and get 25 mpg

I figured up the cost of going and getting mine and with the sales tax on the smoker (which i don't pay to have delivered) it was $20 difference and a day of my time is worth more than $20!.

Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)
See that is what I am thinking...cheaper to just drive out and snag one...and then I dont have to wait for the freight shipping! Thanks, I am excited! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky