PID Controller?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

morkfrompork

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 7, 2015
Valrico, FLA.
Hey All,
My MES Digital 30`s display took a deep dive. Numbers went all wonky so you can`t read them.
Looked up the replacement and it`ll be around $50 all in.
My question is, for that money would I be better off cobbing together a PID control system?
What`s your experience with PIDs?
Units you would recommend?
Units that are junk?
I`ve tried using a remote thermo and counting the number of button pushes to hit a target temp, but that`s been a real hit and miss.
Thanks in advance for any answers--thoughts--
John
PS: Just looked at this???????

Last edited:
Hey All,
My MES Digital 30`s display took a deep dive. Numbers went all wonky so you can`t read them.
Looked up the replacement and it`ll be around $50 all in.
My question is, for that money would I be better off cobbing together a PID control system?
What`s your experience with PIDs?
Units you would recommend?
Units that are junk?
I`ve tried using a remote thermo and counting the number of button pushes to hit a target temp, but that`s been a real hit and miss.
Thanks in advance for any answers--thoughts--
John
PS: Just looked at this???????
This is an on/off controller like the Mes stock one but this has a sensor to place by your food instead of the one in the Mes on the back wall. You'll still coast above and below set point but should be less than the Mes sensor location. A lot of Mes don't actually get to 275 at food level but this one should with the sensor next to your food or hang between racks for multiple rack smokes. I do like a PID since no over shooting for fish and sausage.

Having an external aftermarket temperature controller is generally a good thing. But, unless you get a fancy one, you may give up the remote control and remote readout features of the original controller.

I'd miss that, I think. But I also would not hesitate to replace the OEM controller if mine ever fails.

You may want to to look for a controller with some form of remote connection if you think you'd miss having that.

Reactions: JC in GB
This is an on/off controller like the Mes stock one but this has a sensor to place by your food instead of the one in the Mes on the back wall. You'll still coast above and below set point but should be less than the Mes sensor location. A lot of Mes don't actually get to 275 at food level but this one should with the sensor next to your food or hang between racks for multiple rack smokes. I do like a PID since no over shooting for fish and sausage.
Thanks for the thoughts.
I realize just turning the power off won`t hold the box at a target temp. That it will "coast" up some.
Since I do most of my smoking at the 250-275 range, a short period of a 10 degree bump wouldn`t be that big a deal(right?).
I`ve pretty much decided to give the unit in my post a shot.
After playing with it for awhile I`ll post up a review.
Thanks again for the comment.

Reactions: dr k
Thanks for the thoughts.
I realize just turning the power off won`t hold the box at a target temp. That it will "coast" up some.
Since I do most of my smoking at the 250-275 range, a short period of a 10 degree bump wouldn`t be that big a deal(right?).
I`ve pretty much decided to give the unit in my post a shot.
After playing with it for awhile I`ll post up a review.
Thanks again for the comment.
It seemed to me that the higher the temp 275 had less over shooting than 225. It should be much more controllable when the sensor will now be near your food. Keep us updated on your experience with it.

If you use a PID, but continue to use the chip loader, you may find that the chips don't stay lit, once your MES gets up to temp. This is because the MES controller lets the heater stay on "too long" in order to get the chips heated up. This results in some pretty big temperature swings (25 degrees or more), but during that long "on" time, the chips ignite. By contrast, a well-designed PID will keep the temperature within a degree or two of the set point (a good thing), but it will cycle the heating element on and off for such short intervals that the chips don't get hot enough to light (a bad thing).

So, if you go with a PID, prepare to also build an external smoking enclosure (a.k.a. "mailbox mod").

The display on my MES40 (bought in 2010) recently failed too and a replacement display was no longer available from Masterbuilt. I went ahead and bought an Auber Plug and Play PID (WS-1211 GPH for $120) and it works great. Assembling a PID myself (using a project box and on-line parts) would have been a bit cheaper but I thought it not that much cheaper to make it worth the effort. Also, I think the Plug and Play units looks much nicer and more elegant than having a clunky looking project box sitting on the smoker.

I also found that a simple P/I/D setting of 2/0/0 was sufficient to get a reasonably stable temp (plus/minus 4 degrees around target temp) with a quick enough response time. Using the AutoTune feature can get you an even more stable temp, but I found that the response time was way too slow after opening the door to add meat or to move things around. Just my thoughts....

Last edited:
Reactions: dr k
If you use a PID, but continue to use the chip loader, you may find that the chips don't stay lit, once your MES gets up to temp. This is because the MES controller lets the heater stay on "too long" in order to get the chips heated up. This results in some pretty big temperature swings (25 degrees or more), but during that long "on" time, the chips ignite. By contrast, a well-designed PID will keep the temperature within a degree or two of the set point (a good thing), but it will cycle the heating element on and off for such short intervals that the chips don't get hot enough to light (a bad thing).

So, if you go with a PID, prepare to also build an external smoking enclosure (a.k.a. "mailbox mod").
Already did the mailbox mod..I mean it just made sense..to me anyway.
So easy and can be reversed in a couple of heart beats.

The display on my MES40 (bought in 2010) recently failed too and a replacement display was no longer available from Masterbuilt. I went ahead and bought an Auber Plug and Play PID (WS-1211 GPH for $120) and it works great. Assembling a PID myself (using a project box and on-line parts) would have been a bit cheaper but I thought it not that much cheaper to make it worth the effort. Also, I think the Plug and Play units looks much nicer and more elegant than having a clunky looking project box sitting on the smoker.

I also found that a simple P/I/D setting of 2/0/0 was sufficient to get a reasonably stable temp (plus/minus 4 degrees around target temp) with a quick enough response time. Using the AutoTune feature can get you an even more stable temp, but I found that the response time was way too slow after opening the door to add meat or to move things around. Just my thoughts....
Thank you for taking the time and for the information, experience.
However the unit works it will be better than what I have now..I hope.
Now I give the hieroglyphic display 5-7 pushes on the temp up, hook up the remote thermo, and keep an eye on it.
Not perfect, but does work for me..for now.
If the PID dosen`t work out, I`ve found a company that offers a replacement unit for around the same price as the PID unit..
Options open.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky