Perfect Night For Gumbo!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Low in the 30's and raining....yep-gumbo weather!
I pulled out some frozen smoked chicken halves that needed to be consumed for the gumbo. Put those in a 4 gallon stock pot with about 1.5 gallons of water. Turned the fire on medium to let that warm up and thaw to make the smokey stock for the gumbo. Then I got the sour dough going in the bread machine for the french bread.

2 hours later...the stock
IMG_20230211_154920.jpg

and the chicken parts cooling so I can debone them.
IMG_20230211_154906.jpg

deboned...
IMG_20230211_164400.jpg

3# of andouille, 3lg. onions, 1/4 bunch of celery browning down inda C.I. pot.
IMG_20230211_154912.jpg

The French bread after rising...about to go into the oven...
IMG_20230211_165231.jpg

File'....
IMG_20230211_170744.jpg

Pull the bread out of the oven...
IMG_20230211_174528.jpg

Look at that RISE!! Awesome!
IMG_20230211_174548.jpg

IMG_20230211_174829.jpg

The bowl...
IMG_20230211_180025.jpg

IMG_20230211_180030.jpg

Real good. Really hit the spot on a cold, wet, rainy night! First loaf of french bread from my starter...Wow is it good!!!!

Last edited:
Low in the 30's and raining....yep-gumbo weather!
I pulled out some frozen smoked chicken halves that needed to be consumed for the gumbo. Put those in a 4 gallon stock pot with about 1.5 gallons of water. Turned the fire on medium to let that warm up and thaw to make the smokey stock for the gumbo. Then I got the sour dough going in the bread machine for the french bread.

2 hours later...the stock

and the chicken parts cooling so I can debone them.

deboned...

3# of andouille, 3lg. onions, 1/4 bunch of celery browning down inda C.I. pot.

The French bread after rising...about to go into the oven...

File'....

Pull the bread out of the oven...

The bowl...

Real good. Really hit the spot on a cold, wet, rainy night! First loaf of french bread fom my starter...Wow is it good!!!!
Sounds real good Keith, but no pictures, and it never happened.

That's fire Keith. Had chicken and Andouille gumbo at our local spot Thursday. The place is so damn good. Color of your roux is killer. #Filé nice work bud
Thanks Jake! Homemade roux too! I save up the grease I skim off gravies and such. make a big batch of roux in the fall. Hot can them and seal tight. Will last a year or more..... Almost out of roux though, but it;s fixin to get hot here in South Louisiana....one more month of cool weather then it'll be a sauna again!!!

That looks great Keith. I could sure belly up to a plate of that with our weather.

Point for sure
Chris

Everything homemade.....only thing I didn't do is raise the chickens and grow the onions! LOL!!!!

Well what's keeping ya. LOL

What a great looking bowl of gumbo, Keith! It's been too long since I've made it so thanks for reminding me...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky