Pastrami. Done, but a fail.....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HowlingDog

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 16, 2019
I needed some smoke time so I grabbed a small brisket at Costco (is there anything small at Costco). I cut the point off and ground it for burgers. They were yummy and I HAVE to do that again.

Got Howling Dog vertical offset fired up:
IMG_5893.JPG

While getting it ready, I noticed it needs some TLC, paint etc....

No exciting pics of prep or a 14 day cure but Brisket/Pastrami is ON.....
IMG_5901.JPG

Went in at about 9:45a Pacific time.

But, like my bacon in a different thread, there was a glitch, I think. The first couple times I did pastrami and cut a corner, the meat was noticeably pink like corned beef should be. But this time, the color was uniform throughout:
IMG_5900.JPG

I could smell the spices, but when I rinsed it off, there was no smell to it, just not the color I was expecting. It was not "firm" either, like the pork bellies get when you cure them for bacon. Huh. Strange day for me.

It is humming along at 258 with hickory. More updates as needed....... Thanks for looking.

Mark

Three hours in and taking on some color and tightening up.

IMG_5908.JPG

Hopefully this will be better than my PB&J I had for lunch. SuperChunky PB for the win.

Mark

Looking good. I bet it will taste amazing.
I made pastrami and was surprised how good it was for a first attempt.

I made pastrami and was surprised how good it was for a first attempt.
Same for me. Wanted to try something new and BAM ..... Pastrami. This is my third one and I do like it. Tri Tip pastrami was really good...... I need to find a steamer tray and finish one that way.

Told my wife I'd make my own before I paid that!
Brisket or Tri Tip, spices and time. If I can do it, a master such as you will have no problem.

Same for me. Wanted to try something new and BAM ..... Pastrami. This is my third one and I do like it. Tri Tip pastrami was really good...... I need to find a steamer tray and finish one that way.

Brisket or Tri Tip, spices and time. If I can do it, a master such as you will have no problem.
No master... But I have learned from some great folks on here!

Jim

To wrap up my smoking day, the pastrami is done and has been taste tested. I have to admit to a fail.

IMG_5915.JPG

Same recipe I have used before, same process, but this one came out very dry, tough and WAY over spiced. It was a brisket flat, fairly thin and a little on the lean side. Smoker ran about 260 average and I finished in the oven (it was wrapped in butcher paper the oven). The spice amount was overpowering. I have some pondering to do. Bummer, but things happen......

Hate it didn't turn out like you wanted cause it sure looks good! I've had plenty of fails myself. Usually my fault lol. Sounds like it's time to again.

Oh man I hate it didnt turn out right for you. Nothing that sticks out that you did different? Heck it could have just been the cut of meat.

Jim

Nothing that sticks out that you did different?
I have been thinking about it and I know I over spiced it, and it was a thinner piece. But I am starting to wonder if the temp probes were off. It has the classic signs of over cooking so I wonder it the probe in the meat is off. I will have to check it out. This does give me the excuse to buy a steamer tray for next time. I think I want to try to pull it at 165 and then steam it to 203 or so as most seem to recommend for brisket pastrami. Another gadget, Ya Baby!!!!

pastrami is done and has been taste tested. I have to admit to a fail.
Chop it up and add some BBQ sauce . Slaw or pickles and on a bun .
my wrapping skills need improvement......
Looks fine to me , but maybe try putting the paper on a 45 . Meat 90 degrees to the point facing you . Wrap that point up and around , then bring the 2 sides in , then complete the roll .

try putting the paper on a 45 . Meat 90 degrees to the point facing you . Wrap that point up and around , then bring the 2 sides in , then complete the roll .
Thanks. Ya'all are giving me enough suggestions to give it another try!

To wrap up my smoking day, the pastrami is done and has been taste tested. I have to admit to a fail.

View attachment 670891

Same recipe I have used before, same process, but this one came out very dry, tough and WAY over spiced. It was a brisket flat, fairly thin and a little on the lean side. Smoker ran about 260 average and I finished in the oven (it was wrapped in butcher paper the oven). The spice amount was overpowering. I have some pondering to do. Bummer, but things happen......

Send me some and I will help destroy the evidence in a Reuben sandwich. :emoji_yum::emoji_stuck_out_tongue::emoji_laughing:

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: 02ebz06
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky