Optimal bacon curing temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dfvellone

Original poster
Feb 9, 2009
I understand that curing slows as temperature decreases, and will stop altogether once the temperature gets low enough. Many folks-myself included -cure bacon in the fridge but depending on fridge temp seems to risk being at the lower end. Does anyone know what the median or optimal temperature is for curing bacon?

Anybody know what the upper limit might be? I cure capocollo in the lower 50's. Is it safe to assume that temp limit for bacon?

Capocollo uses cure #2 which has both nitrites AND nitrates. Bacteria breakdown the nitrates into nitrites over the drying time which ensures a longterm release of nitrites. This is a dry cured process which is a different animal entirely from making bacon.

Bacon uses cure #1 with no nitrates. Needs to be cured under refrigeration.

We don't use cure #2 in bacon because bacon will be fried @ a high temp. Remaining nitrates could form Nitrousamines during frying which are bad for your health.

At least that is my understanding.

Is it safe to assume that temp limit for bacon?

No... 38 upper limit for bacon using cure#1... Capocollo is cured with cure#2... refrigerated for 17 days then allow to age cure at 55F and 70-80% humidity for an additional 3+ weeks...
They are 2 completely different process ... The cures, #1 & #2 do 2 different things when it comes to curing...

can i re purpose a beverage cooler for curing my meats it can reach temps of 34 to 64 degrees F
and have adjustable shelves?

Thank you , i have an old one in storage that works, trying to use it because wifey wants a new one

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky