Opinions? Pork Left Out for 2 Days

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thebig1

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 3, 2016
Kingston, PA
The other day while jostling meat back and forth between the meat fridge and freezer I set a 10lb whole pork loin that is vacuum sealed on the table next to the fridge. As I grabbed meat, etc... to go upstairs I completely forgot about it. The temperature in the basement is approximately 55-65 degrees at all times.

I placed it back in the fridge this evening. If I were to make Canadian bacon with it would it still be alright since I’m not slicing for jerky and exposing every individual piece to possible contamination?

Cryo-Vac packed, Overnight? I would have cooked it off. Thanks to my busy Bride, Been There, Done That. Two days? Nope. Not worth the risk...JJ

Give it the Deep Whiff Test. Open it, stick your nose in it, and if it has any off smell at all, freeze it until trash pick-up day.

Well I guess that it’ll become chunked up trapping bait then. Now I’m wondering if I should still throw some smoke on it prior to putting it in my trapping freezer.

I wouldn't. If you smoke it, you might be tempted to try it. That in turn could have serious consequences. As for trapping bait, I think we are the only creatures that equate smoke with food. In their world, smoke means fire, fire means go the other way.

i know your pain. Ive done the same thing before, but it’s not worth the risk. Pitch it out and get another. On the bright side you will probably not make the same mistake lol.

You’re right Legs, I’m hoping that this is a lesson that I only have to learn once.

Sparky, I know what you’re saying but I still might experiment with half of it. Of course I won’t smoke it completely through, just for a couple of hours for taste and smell. Don’t forget that when we leave a campfire that it doesn’t take long for critters to show up looking for scraps.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky