One confusing brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmh313

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 14, 2016
Portsmouth Rhode Island
Yesterday I smoked what was probably my somewhere around 50th brisket. Never have I had so much difficulty. Go figure too, it was the first brisket in who knows how long that I was under zero time constraint.

15.7 # angus select, very flexible, pretty well trimmed from the butcher. Admittedly I only spent about half the time trimming that I usually do, which might have caused some of my issues.

Anyways, at 0400 I set the fire and by 0545 the brisket was on. Went simple, just salt and pepper. Smoked at 285, the sweet spot for my smoker, and left it alone for 4 hours. Started getting a beautiful mahogany color and put my digital probe in as I figured I was around 140-145. I was at 148, and I was stalled.

I was stalled at 148. I've never hit the stall that low. Anyways, 3 hours later I made it to a whopping 149, but the color was getting dark enough and my flat tip was starting to dry. Wrapped in butcher paper (second time ever using butcher) and threw it back in. 2 more hours and I was still at 149.

Never have I had a stall last 5 plus hours. Fortunately I was under zero time constraint and it was a beautiful fall day to sit outside and drink beer and maintain a fire. Then magic happened and I began climbing. By 1600 I was at 190 and by 1630 I hit 200. Passed the probe test, so I pulled it to rest on the counter for an hour.

Beautiful bark, light crunch in the pepper with a sticky complexion, very juicy, light smoke ring. First few slices in the flat and I was on cloud 9. Passed the pull test with flying colors, tasted great.

But then I noticed something... I passed the pull test and jiggled more than a Sir-Mix-A lot music video... yet I still had spots of not fully rendered fat. This difficult brisket struck again with a final blow.

SO my question(s) to you... why the white fat? Was it from my shotty trim and what's left was the overly thick areas? Should I have let it go a little higher than 200 despite it being probe tender? Am I overthinking it and just had a bad brisket day?

Attachments

• IMG_4347.JPG
    IMG_4347.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4350.JPG
    IMG_4350.JPG
    198 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4365.JPG
    IMG_4365.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4367.JPG
    IMG_4367.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4370.JPG
    IMG_4370.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4372.JPG
    IMG_4372.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_4375.JPG
    IMG_4375.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 92
Possible excess fat but IMO, that's easy to cut off after the fact and may have helped keep things moist at the expense of a longer stall (?). Meat was juicy and looks great, assuming the taste was good too, so I'd chalk it up to a cantankerous cow.

I'm with Schlotz, easy work around. I kinda like to keep a little fat on them myself. That looks like a very nice and moist finish. Not happy enough send leftovers this way!

It sure looks good to me!
You can always remove that fat between the point & flat before you smoke it, or just eat around it when you slice it. Maybe you just never had a brisket with that much fat between the two before, but it's pretty common around here.
Al

Reactions: OILFIELDTOOL
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky