One 12 .lb slab of brisket or two 6 .lb ones?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dee dee dee

Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
O.k., I got some dry rub on the brisket and getting ready for tomorrow.

I read that it takes about 1 to 1 1/2 hours per pound of beef to cook. I have a 12 pounder and I was wondering that if I cut it in half if that would cut the cooking time down to around 6 hours for both cuts.

One thing I am concerned about is it getting too dry if I do this, but I will defer to ya'lls experience.

Another newbie here. My first brisket will be tomorrow as well. 7lb flat is the biggest I could find. Sorry to jum on your thread but I thought I could get the same input. Cook at 200 until internal is 170, then wrap in foil until 190. Is that generally it?

Don't cut it in half, cook it whole as it will take about the same time...

I would smoke at 250* till 170 and foil till 195, then give it the probe test...
When your probe slides in like butter, it's done.
That may be 195 or 205 but learn that technique and you'll never have tough brisket...
wink.gif

Definitley do not pull to soon. Kids were raising he** the food was taking to long so I pulled it early to try and mak'em happy but........needed about another hour. So they ate and into the oven it went. So sad. It just can't be rushed.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky