Old Timer Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

southoregonbob

Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Southern Oregon
On a recent episode of the TV show Port Protection, Sam is shown making what he calls Old Timers Bacon out of ground pork. I want to try and make this myself but cannot find a recipe. I'm hoping one of the members here know of a good recipe I can use to make Old Timers Bacon on my Traeger Smoker.

If he is referring to the ground pork bacon I've read about you start off by making a sausage blend like you would stuff and cold smoke.... but instead of stuffing, the sausage gets rolled out to something like an 8" X 8" X 1.5" square. Lets say ground pork, salt, sugar, cure #1, icy water and any signature seasonings you like, for example black pepper, or fenugreek if you want a maple flavor. The square is wrapped and rested overnight to firm up.

The square gets cold smoked for 3 or 4 hours, then chilled, and the next day gets a hot smoked finish, but the internal only needs to be 155° because of the Cure #1. This is chilled and sliced. I guess it might resemble turkey bacon, or maybe jerky from the gun. Anyway, it is pan fried just long enough to be slightly crispy on the edges.

This is a mix I used from Owens BBQ .

• Love
Reactions: mossymo

That is exactly like the photos in the article I read, only their mix had cure due to the long smoking times, and that cook made them square instead of a rectangle. Using ground butt would be a healthier alternative to belly bacon. Did you by any chance make a sandwich with them? I could see a club or BLT.

Chopsaw, which Owen's seasoning did you use? I've always liked their Tatonka Dust.

• Love
which Owen's seasoning
It's Ground formed bacon . It's on this page below . I just used the German Bologna , it's good too .

• Love
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky